FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fishy
I have a question about my Nepenthes Ventrata. I’ve recently came back from a vacation and saw my nep had a black part on its stem. I researched this and saw mixed opinions on what it is. Some say it’s stem rot, and others say it’s normal. Is this something I have to be worried about? If so, how to I fix it?

Thanks and have a great day. :D
Attachments:
746E6D36-FF19-4007-BD97-255EEF035C8C.jpeg
746E6D36-FF19-4007-BD97-255EEF035C8C.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 2546 times
ADBD07D4-02DE-4487-A49C-E3C65FE78E48.jpeg
ADBD07D4-02DE-4487-A49C-E3C65FE78E48.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2546 times
Panman liked this
By Supercazzola
Do you have a photo that shows the rest of the plant ?
Describe it. Is it growing new leaves? How are they? Growing pitchers?
A good overview photo of the plant would help.
By fishy
It’s not growing new leaves. One leaf started blackening so I’m going to prune it. It’s not growing pitchers nor does it have any.
By Artchic528
Okay.

Ventrata don’t really do well in compact media like peat moss. They prefer straight up LFS. Not only is this airy but it drains well, which brings me to my next point. They also don’t like to sit in water, so they need a well draining pot. Also, how much light is it getting? Ventrata like dappled sunlight, not direct, and moderate humidity. They should also be kept in conditions that get no colder than 50F at the coldest. They are a temperate plant after all.
By fishy
My ventrata isn’t in peat moss. It’s in sphagnum moss + perlite for air circulation and moisture. My pot has one big hole but I’m going to try to drill more holes into the bottom. I have a full spectrum led grow light and keep it like 1 foot away from the plant at a decent intensity. I’m having problems with humidity and need suggestions other than a humidifier or fish tank. It is in correct temperatures. Do I need to worry about the black spot shown in the photo?
By BugBiters
If you're not able to set up something elaborate for it and just need to stabilize the humidity in the short term, you can put a grocery bag over it (the thin kind for produce works great) with some holes poked in it and mist a few times a day. I would start to be concerned about ventilation after doing it for more than a week or two, however.

I am very split on there being a real problem. It looks a little "moist" for the normal hardening process. To be honest, I'm pretty aggressive about things like this so I would personally lop the top off as a cutting (keeping it bagged and moist). Best case, you now have two plants, and if at least one half doesn't bounce back it was probably going to die anyways.

Good luck with it, whichever way you go :)

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!