FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LFTal_81
I've sowen about a 100 D. capensis and a 100 D. madagascarensis... My germination rate was not to good and it seems like i have about 20 of each that germinated about a month and a half ago.
But my real consern is that it seems to me that the seedlings grow way to slow... I mean they are about 2-3mm tall whith one or two leaves and i cant see any progress. I have ample light and water so i dont think that can be the problem... Any advice from anybody?
By Daniel_G
i find they start of slow, but then take off, i'm sure they'll grow quickly soon, also how crowded are they, a month may seem soon, but they may ned seperating, as they could be blocking light from each other :)
Daniel_G liked this
By jht-union
Congrats, i have sowned more than 3000 drosera seeds of 10 species, they start as tiny tiny little things that look like green small stars, but at the second month, they will be taller seedslings, so yours are just starting, just try for now to give them as much light as you can, and water to keep the the media moist.

Good luck! :)
jht-union liked this
By sundewman
Actually, the fastest way to speed up seedling growth is to feed them extremely small portions of food (besides being sure to give them plenty of light).
Everyone else must have way more patience than me!!!! I couldn't stand my dews growing so slowly, so I usually take the time to tediously feed a select few of them (since it would be way too time consuming to feed all 3000 of your babies ;)) Don't worry about the part that says you should wait until they have 3-4 carnivorous leaves. Just only feed one leaf to be safe.

I've written a lengthy article on this very topic here:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Germ ... _Seedlings (there's also a video that demonstrates on larger plantlets, so you'll want to use even smaller amounts of food than what is given in the video)...this is explained in the article.
sundewman liked this
By victor
Patience is the key. They will start off growing pretty slow
but evetually they'll start picking up speed.

Make sur your plants are getting adiquite sunlight. As
that is a common reason drosera grow slowly.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!