FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kurichar
hey guys! i just received a clump of cephalotus plant!
its a pretty vigorous clump though its a small sized one.
i've set it up in my home made mini greenhouse with 3 2W each (VERY bright) led lights.
should i try to grow it outside of the greenhouse? because the seller told me it was in high humidity, not in full sun and temps lower than 30C.

as i read online, they always limp along after being shipped and re-potted (which i did, because they were too big and clumped for that pot, i just pulled the whole plant with its medium, and placed it in another pot), so i shouldn't worry about some of them getting acclimated and some of the pitchers withering (right??)

is placing the plant in high humidity help it to acclimate and refill its pitchers?

Attachments:
the plant after repotting and inside the mini greenhouse
the plant after repotting and inside the mini greenhouse
IMG_20180606_194013.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
the cephalotus how i got it before repotting
the cephalotus how i got it before repotting
IMG_20180605_191435.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
By iamjacksplants
Congratulations on your new plant! It looks like a pretty generous division to me.

I'm just a little concerned about those lights. You mentioned they are 2 watts? Are they grow lights? Bright to our eyes doesn't necessarily translate to bright or good for plants. They have specific spectrum needs that are impossible for our eyes to detect. So if it doesn't say it's a grow light it probably isn't. I'm not an expert on LEDs, I just got my first LED grow light about a week ago. It is 20 watts per tube, 2 tubes for a total of 40 watts. The hydro supplier said they were the smallest LED grow lights on the market in the correct spectrum and they are 2 feet long. Also these plants don't do well in high humidity unless they also have equally high airflow and light. I suspect the plant would do just fine on a very bright window sill. I hate to say it, but damp, warm, still air and low light will eventually claim the plant.

Here is a good link for Cephalotus{/i] cultivation. It touches on each of the points key to good growing long term.

http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/index.html

When repotting it is important to be sure that the soil is evenly compacted. This can be tricky when just removing the pot and placing the whole arrangement in a larger pot with additional soil. If not watered in evenly, air pockets can form, lead to drainage problems and eventually lead to root rot. I understand not wanting to disturb the roots, just make sure that the soil is evenly firm from the soil it came in to the soil that was added as opposed to loose in some places and tight in others.

Good luck!
-@.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!