FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
Are your Nepenthes plants indoors or outdoors? I would strongly recommend indoors under grow lights. They need plenty of light. Recommend T5 LED full spectrum lighting which is not too pricey. I found these T5 30W 2ft long lights at Amazon for $32.99.
Monios-L LED Grow Light Full Spectrum 30W 2ft T5 High Output Integrated Fixture with Reflector Combo for Indoor Plants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J2T878/re ... OCb1PSEN0Z

I made my light stand using 3/4" PVC pipe pretty much like this but just taller and only long enough for 2ft light.

I turn my lights on at dawn and off at dusk...so shorter in the Winter and longer in the Summer. I follow nature.

I am thinking your Nepenthes from Lowes may be needing more light. Under T5 full spectrum grow lights indoors you have more control over growing conditions. Plus I lived in Sacto for 8 years and summers can be oppressively hot and dry in the Summer and can get cold in the Winter. Neps are tropical but both N. Sanguinea and N. Ventricosa (if that's what you have) are Highland Neps found at 3,200-6,500 ft. Regarding proper temperature rule of thumb is if  you are comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt, your Nepenthes is comfy naked. Daytime temperatures should be around 75°F give or take. Nighttime temperatures may drop into the 60s but not necessary with most Nepenthes. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
javaliz59 liked this
By javaliz59
One more thing I realized I didn't mention....I opted for 30W LED Full spectrum lighting because my neps are in front of a large east facing window. If I didn't have that option I would have chosen higher higher wattage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
javaliz59 liked this
By Fieldofscreams
The one from Lowe's just throw outside and leave it. It's either a Ventricosa or a ventrata.

Ventrata and Ventricosa neps are bomb proof. I treat mine like crap and it just doesn't care, just keeps growing, probably in spite of me.

I don't know anything about the other one. If it's a Highlander of some sort I would do the same thing, just toss it outside. But that's just me.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Nepenthes_Lover
By the way my other nepenthes has been inflating it's pitcher so much. And it's new leave is so big! I will pot a few pics showing it's new leaves and inflating pitchers. Looks like the plant from SNW is having quite the same condition as mine the Sanguinea is growing really fast it acclimate just like 3 weeks after shipping. I am planning to order a Sanguinea or Ventricosa again, lol. I will also ask Jacob if the original plant is either a male or female so I can Figure out which gender my Sanguinea is.

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!