FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By penatrap
so I just got some seeds off a guy I know.. according to him it's 50% spatulata seeds, 20% burmanni and capensis seeds, 5% filiformis seeds, and 5% random other drosera seeds

Right now I have them stored in a fridge but I've never tried growing drosera (never mind from seed) before. I live in zone 8 and am considering just waiting until spring to do anything. do all these seeds have different requirements or can i just sprinkle them into a pot and wait?
By jpappy789
The spatulata, burmannii, and capensis are all "subtropical" and don't need anything special other than normal room temps (75-85F), plus some light and moisture/humidity, to germinate. If your place gets much colder than that over the winter, they may be less successful and a seed heating mat would be helpful if you don't want to wait.

Depending on the type of filiformis (i.e. anything that isn't the "Florida Red" form), it likely needs cold stratification. The easiest way to do that is to do so in the fridge either already in the pot or in moist paper towel (step-by-step instructions are at the first link below).

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading more at these sources about growing Drosera from seeds:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Germ ... _Seed.html
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... calDrosera
By tracieh
I planted capensis seeds a few weeks ago. I just sprinkled them on my soil, kept their water dish filled and put them under a light. It took about 4 weeks but I have a ton of babies popping up!
By penatrap
jpappy789 wrote:The spatulata, burmannii, and capensis are all "subtropical" and don't need anything special other than normal room temps (75-85F), plus some light and moisture/humidity, to germinate. If your place gets much colder than that over the winter, they may be less successful and a seed heating mat would be helpful if you don't want to wait.

Depending on the type of filiformis (i.e. anything that isn't the "Florida Red" form), it likely needs cold stratification. The easiest way to do that is to do so in the fridge either already in the pot or in moist paper towel (step-by-step instructions are at the first link below).

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading more at these sources about growing Drosera from seeds:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Germ ... _Seed.html
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... calDrosera
the thing is, when i said seed mix i meant it literally - he just threw a bunch of seed stalks into a big baggy and sent it to me lmao. will it hurt the other seeds if i stratify those as well?
By Shadowtski
the thing is, when i said seed mix i meant it literally - he just threw a bunch of seed stalks into a big baggy and sent it to me lmao. will it hurt the other seeds if i stratify those as well?
It will not hurt Tropical or Semi-Tropical seeds if you stratify them.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
By jpappy789
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem since keeping trop/subtrop seeds cold extends their shelf life. I would maybe consider treating with a fungicide since usually you want to also keep them dry and the moisture during stratification might promote fungus/mold.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!