FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By boarderlib
Artchic528 wrote:I highly respect the giving it straight thing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
That seems to be a dwindling trait anymore with how easily people get offended, especially by the truth.
red wrote: Best of luck with your new plants and happy growing! Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No idea, that's why I usually edit the quote down. That and if I recall correctly if you're viewing the online FTC, it doesn't just show a preview of the quoted post it shows all of it which can make for a lot of scrolling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edit: that was directed towards Reds question on the post count. I messed up my editImage
By red
Red.Jr I think is gaining more color

My plants get sun almost all day, they get indirect sunlight in the early mornings because of my house blocking the sun, but when the sun rises over my house, my plants get a ton of sun until about 7 o’clock when a tree blocks the sun, then get get indirect sun, at night I put my plants in the porch that’s is screened so they are not harmed by the weather that may happen at night. My ventricosa and capensis grow inside because they are tropical plants and because my ventricosa was getting eaten during its time outside, new growth were getting holes in them, but ever since it’s been inside it has been doing better but the leaves are sorta bending like shriveling but not turning brown, the leaves look like they are shriveling but they are not dying (the leaf part, not the pitcher) it may be time to repot but I don’t really want to disturb the plant even more, don’t say that my plant is dying, it is staying green none of the leaves are dying (except old leaves) they are just bending at the edges I’ll take a photo in a minute. (Don’t say I’m killing it) (I don’t want to get triggered again but I will gladly take advice)
By red
Here are the leaves
Attachments:
Why are the leaves bending at the edges?
Why are the leaves bending at the edges?
image.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3556 times
By red
My moldy Sarracenia (again)
By red
Moldy Sarracenia
Attachments:
Moldy Sarracenia
Moldy Sarracenia
image.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 3554 times
By red
It’s growing fast
By red
Cross

Have any advice for purpuera dormancy? I will have to figure out if it is a venosa or the other one
By red
Cross here is my purpeura
Attachments:
My purpuera
My purpuera
image.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 3527 times
By red
Well it turns out of the traps except developing ones were digesting nothing, I open one trap with my hand and guess what there was nothing in there but digestive enzymes, and they opened with little to no opposition, meaning that I had to remove all the traps except developing ones, what could have caused this was during shipping it could have been bumped around several times, closing the traps, and then simulating a bug, then digestion occurred when there was nothing in there, this was the case with every trap, meaning that I had to remove them all except developing ones meaning that I’ll have to wait a few days before I can even enjoy my red dragon

:(
By Adelae
Why did you need to remove all the traps?
Accidentally closing on nothing doesn't hurt them, and even if it did they can keep photosynthesizing for the plant until they die back naturally.
By Artchic528
Here we go again....

By red
Adelae wrote:Why did you need to remove all the traps?
Accidentally closing on nothing doesn't hurt them, and even if it did they can keep photosynthesizing for the plant until they die back naturally.

The traps were sealed and I checked all of them, they were digesting nothing, developing traps I left alone

The plant was wasting energy digesting something that wasn’t even there

Now the plant is no longer wasting energy
By Artchic528
red wrote:
Adelae wrote:Why did you need to remove all the traps?

The traps were sealed and I checked all of them, they were digesting nothing, developing traps I left alone

The plant was wasting energy digesting something that wasn’t even there

Now the plant is no longer wasting energy
Okay, first of all, why did you open sealed traps? That's a major no no!

Second, if there was nothing in them to trigger them to seal, the traps wouldn't be sealed in the first place. Your story isn't adding up at all.

Congratulations, you just mutilated a perfectly healthy plant for no other reason than ignorance.

By red
Delet this
Last edited by red on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Artchic528
red wrote:Artchic528

Congratulations you have made me hate myself for existing

Also I have done the same with my first flytrap because all but one of the leaves died, and you know what I did? I removed them, if the plant is making new growth it is fine, it is strong, it is healthy, carnivorous plants can survive without eating they will just as a consequence grow slower

(Though you probably knew that) the traps were dying anyway

Like 049 said (again) but in my version “do you wait to remove dead traps on a Venus flytrap until the fungus starts growing on it? No you find them and remove them and allow new traps to take their place and you do not simply mock the plant because it looks different to you know, it is strong, it is free of disease”

(I’m not mad here, just wanted to point that out)

Here is how I feel right now after you said that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQETCPlTcA
Okay, first of all, I told you to stop being so melodramatic and trying to guilt trip me. I'm not buying into that for one second.

Second, what do dead and dying traps have to do with killing off sealed ones? I can't begin to help you if you can't even distinguish between the two.

Third, I don't remove even the dead or dying traps because they can still contribute in some way to the plant. Besides, you don't have anyone doing that for wild plants, and they seem to manage just fine (encroachment and poaching aside).

Honestly, you are acting more and more troll like than not, so yeah, I'm done. I refuse to feed the troll anymore.

So I live in central Arkansas, and I want to grow […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Sundew in forest

So, I am very new to gardening (like, this is my f[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!