FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
My little Heliamphora from the Chimanta tepui (flat-topped mountain) in Venezuela is putting up a flower stalk. For scale, the Flytrap Store Garden Gnome is exactly 22 millimeters (2.2 centimeters or 7/8 inch) tall. :P
heliamphora-pulchella-with-gnome.jpg
heliamphora-pulchella-with-gnome.jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:I really like the gnome!
Coming soon to a FlytrapStore.com near you!
dantt99 wrote:So that's a very tiny plant, under 2 inches tall!
So far, yes, only 1 3/4 inches tall. I like this little plant very much. :D
By jht-union
The gnome is nice, and the Heli as well!!!, a heli should be my next CP in my collection!! LOL

Congrats for this beautiful plant!
By victor
I need to get some pings and trumpet pitchers
By HarrisAz
i know out topic but just wanna know,

hw much will the gnome cost if its in the store?

22mm sounds small and cute!
By Steve_D
HarrisAz wrote:hw much will the gnome cost if its in the store?
Right now I'm thinking $12.95 with free shipping (will not increase the shipping charge of other items, and will ship free if ordered by itself or multiples of them). They will all be very meticulously handpainted, which is rather tedious to do when the object being painted is that small.

The gnome in the photo has a straight piece of wire soldered to the base, to make it easy to insert into growing medium to stabilize the statuette. However, the soldering iron gets the metal gnome (it is made of pewter, not mere plastic) hot, which can cause some of the painting (which is fairly tough acrylic) to detach from the primer and metal. So a better method would be to use epoxy instead of solder-- a cold technique.

When the Flytrap Store Garden Gnomes are available, I'm thinking of starting a gallery (haven't talked to Matt about it yet though) to display photos from anywhere in the world of the tiny Gnome in--well, maybe Malaysia ( :) ), Australia, the UK, here in the U.S. and anywhere else on Earth (a Flytrap Store Gnome standing beside a Venus Flytrap in an Antartic science station would be awesome, or photographed with its owner at the top of a mountain after a day of hiking to the summit), guarding the carnivorous plants of various Forum members and other FlytrapStore.com customers, or traveling with them to various scenic or exotic locales (a balcony overlooking the Pyrenees Mountains? or maybe just one's own back yard :) ). It would be nice to have a gallery of photos of the gnome in lots of different places, and with lots of different plants, along with information about the place, the occasion and/or the plants. :mrgreen:

This is just my creative imagination working. :)
By victor
Wow $12.95 is less than half of what I asumed the price would be.
By Steve_D
victor wrote:Wow $12.95 is less than half of what I asumed the price would be.
OK. I'll raise the price! :D Just kidding, although if necessary, the price might go up just a little to $14.95 (they're all necessarily hand-painted, not mass produced). But I'm going to try to keep it down to $12.95 per gnome. And because it's not a plant and not subject to cumbersome permits, etc., it will be available in the international section of FlytrapStore.com too, for shipment anywhere.

I think they're very cute, and they do make handy measuring devices to indicate scale in closeup photos of plants. This year I'll pose it next to a few B52 traps that look like they would be able to eat the entire body, hat and all, or perhaps I'll place the gnome mostly inside a trap with just head or head and shoulders sticking out, for a portrait. :) I also plan to take my own little gnome with me to photograph at various locations, then post those photos in a gallery at FlytrapStore.com and in a discussion thread here at the Forum entitled (maybe) "Where On Earth is the Flytrap Store Gnome?" (or "... the FlytrapCare Gnome").

Cute little guy, huh? The real product will be painted differently though, more in line with the now "classic" depiction by Dutch artist Rien Poortvliet, below--
gnome.jpg
gnome.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
Metal Detector Frequency For Gold

Learn The Basics [https://goldxtradetector.com/met[…]

Metal Detector Frequency For Gold

Learn The Basics [https://goldxtradetector.com/met[…]

How quick do VFT roots grow?

Plant and other than watering, forget about it. Mi[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

they are back outside https://i.imgur.com/mW2klN[…]

took my neps outside, look at that moss! https:/[…]

+ bulk means that in addition to already-made pack[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!