FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By vaibhav
Hi Friends,
I am going to receive heliamphora heterodoxa x minor plant in a week time or so,
this will be my first time with Heliamphora and I am not sure what its care going to be like,
as of right now I am planning to grow it under artificial lighting with a cfl of 30 watt 6700k which i will be keeping it very near to the plant itself. I hope this much light should be ok for the plant as I will be using one cfl with lil reflector only for it.

I have dried sphagnum moss and perlite with me available in plenty and also I have a mixture of peat moss:perlite:vermiculite mixed in equal amount available at near by nursery so what should be my growing media for best result with this plant?

Do i need to use try method to water the plant and would I have to keep its root cool(which can be done by putting an ice pack in the tray) at night or day? Is there anything specific I should keep in my mind regarding growing Heliamphora or this species of Heliamphora?

Also I am attaching the picture of the plant I will receive, can you please advise me if i need to take any special care of the plant as it will be in shipping for a week to 2 weeks or so and it will be coming with sphagnum moss around the roots(not potted)? do I need to put water after potting the plant?

It will be really great if some one can advise me regarding my questions please.
Thanks
Attachments:
471ff0824a67.jpg
471ff0824a67.jpg (288.96 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
399b18fc9436.jpg
399b18fc9436.jpg (484.65 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
By stitz25b
i think its really powerful light
15c days
5c nights
100% humid

its what i think but im not sure
stitz25b liked this
By victor
Okay let me answer your quetions one by one.

1) Heliamphora need a really airy mix that still retains moisture.
Two possible mixes you could use are 100% live sphagnum moss or 1 part peat moss, 2 parts perlite, 1 part orchid bark

2) The do not need any ice on the soil like darlingtonia. They should just sit in a tray of water that's 1/4 inch tall.
They hate sitting in large amounts of water and it's okay if you put some water in the pitchers.

3) When it arrvies just put it in a pot with one of the mixes above. Then give some time to recover from shock and adapt to it's new environment. Just keep in mind that heliamphora grow quite slowly and this is a plant that you will need a bit of patience with.
victor liked this
By vaibhav
Hi,
Thanks alot Stitz and Victor for helping me out and advising me. So I will try to keep it cool though summer is approaching and the room temperature going to hit 40 degree celsius in may-june.

I hope 30 watt cfl is fine or will it be less then needed please advise

I will definitely try to keep patience and hope it will work out

thank you

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!