FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthesis
I bought three medium S. purpurea and a lot of 10 Sarracenia seedlings on eBay. I know the basics of how to care for them, but I had a couple of questions.

1. Can I grow Sarracenia in pots with drainage holes in the bottom? I want to put them in 4" pots but I don't want them to die from lack of water. Should I set the pot in a couple inches of water or something?

2. What months to Sarracenia go in and out of dormancy? Can they skip dormancy ever? During dormancy, can I keep them in my HL greenhouse? Over winter, it is in the low 50s in there at night and 60s-70s during the day.

3. Can I grow them in straight peat, or do I need to add some sand or perlite in? What is the best ration if I should grow them in multiple mediums?

Thanks!
By Daniel_G
Yes, you can grow them with drainage, keep them just damp in winter though. Only let them stand in water during the summer.
A highland greenhouse is was too warm for dormancy. Try keeping temps in dormancy close to 35 and 40 degrees. Maybe 50 in the days.
A purpurea can take temps down to minus 17 Celsius. Not sure what that is in Farenheit.

Straight peat is acceptable, but 50 50 peat perlite is much better.
Daniel_G liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!