FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Drummer230
Anyone grow sarrs in the front yard? My backyard is more shaded than I’d like now that the days are getting shorter and the sun angle has changed. I’d like to put them out front where there is full sun, but I live in a nice subdivision and don’t want to make it look tacky. Im also a little nervous about someone messing with them or stealing them, even if that’s just me being paranoid. Thoughts? I grow them all in individual pots in a kiddie pool currently.
By Huntsmanshorn
Ditch the kiddie pool, trim the plants up nice and neat, arrange the pots attractively, and you should be good to go. If you have any doubts, drive around the neighborhood and take a look at how other people have placed their potted plants and that should give you a few good ideas. As to theft, unless your pots are very nice and/or expensive, I don't think you have much to worry about, most people will just think plants are plants and won't even notice that yours are a bit different.
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By camsdad66
I grow all mine in the front yard. But I live in the Styx on a gravel road...lol. Maybe you could try some decorative containers to put them in. Those plastic half whiskey barrels you can get at home improvement stores don't look too bad. Far as someone stealing them, you never know. Out here where I live biggest risk is a stray dog peeing on them....lol. Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
camsdad66 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
I grow all my Sarrs outdoors, in plastic tubs. They don't look the best, but nobody is coming to our little place in the middle of the country to steal carnivorous plants :mrgreen:. We have to protect ours from from the chickens, which enjoy pecking the life out of the purps to eat the trapped insects and drink the bug - juice :lol:. It would be possible to replace the ratty looking stuff with new, fancy stuff if you cared about the looks, but that's just what has worked for me.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Drummer230
I think the best thing about the kiddie pool is I let it rain and don’t have to worry about it unless we get a dry spell. I’m trying to figure out something that isn’t going to piss my neighbors off lol. I guess we all have our challenges no matter where you live whether it be wild animals, chickens, or neighbors :lol:
By Alderas
Plant the kiddie pool in the ground and make a pond/bog it will look better than a pool sitting in the yard. It would at least go over with the neighbors better.
Alderas liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!