FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I am going to a plant show this weekend and there will be people there who aren't experienced with carnivorous plants. I am putting a link up with grow instructions. If you could review it and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1baX ... p=drivesdk
By ChefDean
The only thing I can see is maybe adding a tidbit to the North American plants dormancy tab. Something along the lines of "If left outdoors for their dormancy, watch the weather and protect them from freeze/thaw cycles." and maybe put more emphasis/stronger suggestion to use someplace that stays cold, but more stable, and above freezing, even the coolest part of the basement.
Just my thoughts
andynorth, Panman, MikeB liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
One very small quibble is that you should make it very, very, clear that the silica sand you mentioned needs to be silica sand or 95% of the people that use sand will just use whatever crap sand they can lay their hands on. That said, I sure that 50%+ will still use whatever crap sand they can lay their hands on.
Panman, wcrosman, ChefDean and 2 others liked this
By MikeB
My 2¢ worth:

1. Water
" the water needs to be very soft."
I would change "soft" to "low in minerals". Some people have whole-house water softeners, and those ion-exchange units produce soft water that will poison carnivorous plants.

3. Soil
Add "Don't use Miracle-Gro products in your carnivorous plant soil; that company sprays fertilizer on everything (see the item below)."

5. Dormancy
I would change "just keep them damp" to "keep them just damp".
Panman, Intheswamp liked this

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!