FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Anderson Souza
Hello everyone, Im Anderson from Brazil and just joined the fun last year with my 1st VFT, sadly it died after dormency but i just got another and since then i learned lots and ill use my aknoledge to make my new one a pretty strong and healthy bug devourer.

Ill post some pics of my new one. It has been 1 month since i have it:

By andivicio at 2011-11-01

thats it, if all goes well ill try to do a "time lapse" video of her growth.
Thaths all folks, seeyou in the threads ;)
By frog
Hello Anderson!
By Matt
Hello Anderson from Brazil and welcome to FlytrapCare!

Your new flytrap looks very nice. Judging by the photos, it does appear to be lacking light just a bit since you've had it. The newest leaves are very wide with fairly small traps, which is a sign of light deficiency. Otherwise, it looks to be a very healthy flytrap :)
By Steve_D
Hello Anderson, and welcome to the FlytrapCare Forum. The plant appears to be growing in coir (coconut husk pith). Did you soak and drain the coir a number of times before using it, to eliminate the soluble mineral salts that are almost always present in coir? They can harm your Venus Flytrap without that precaution.

As Matt mentioned, it looks like your Venus Flytrap would be happy with more light including plenty of direct sunlight, but be sure to introduce it to the light gradually so that it doesn't burn at first.

The plant looks healthy. Just remember to allow it to dry until just moist between thorough waterings.

I'm guessing you are in Brazil. I was raised in Peru (son of American parents). Because the seasons are reversed south of the Equator, your plant is in its active growing season. Please post more updates and photos as it grows this season. :)

Anyway, welcome! :D
By Anderson Souza
Matt wrote:Hello Anderson from Brazil and welcome to FlytrapCare!

Your new flytrap looks very nice. Judging by the photos, it does appear to be lacking light just a bit since you've had it. The newest leaves are very wide with fairly small traps, which is a sign of light deficiency. Otherwise, it looks to be a very healthy flytrap :)
thx for the advice, though here in my house the sunlight is a bit tricky to catch as the many trees keep blocking it and i have to change the plant a bit often, i have been introducing her to sun slowly to avoid sunburn but im not pretty sure how long it takes to her to adapt to frequent sunlight.

Steve_D wrote:Hello Anderson, and welcome to the FlytrapCare Forum. The plant appears to be growing in coir (coconut husk pith). Did you soak and drain the coir a number of times before using it, to eliminate the soluble mineral salts that are almost always present in coir? They can harm your Venus Flytrap without that precaution.

As Matt mentioned, it looks like your Venus Flytrap would be happy with more light including plenty of direct sunlight, but be sure to introduce it to the light gradually so that it doesn't burn at first.

The plant looks healthy. Just remember to allow it to dry until just moist between thorough waterings.

I'm guessing you are in Brazil. I was raised in Peru (son of American parents). Because the seasons are reversed south of the Equator, your plant is in its active growing season. Please post more updates and photos as it grows this season. :)

Anyway, welcome! :D
thx Matt,
I washed the coir before placing it in the pot though i think i should have washed it a way better because i let the coir in water only for like 20 min. Im thinking about picking some destilled water and pour over the medium and let the water pass through (the pot have holes under it) this probably going to carry the minerals away slowly, then i store the water and destile it again (nothing goes wasted ;) ) but any advises are welcome.

Thx again guys. :mrgreen:

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!