FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Alex2893
So i bought this Sarricenia Today at my local Nursery and it looks nice and healthy but not sure what kind it is or the best care to give it. it came in what looks like an un glazed clay pot so that might be concerning. i also has a microscopic size sundew at the base of the pitchers. i payed $29.99. not sure if i over payed or got a good deal. i would like to know the age of the plant if thats possible and how tall they can get?

Image20150629_102702 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

Image20150629_102741 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By Eric
Nice one! Looks like 'Dana's Delight' and the dew is probably Intermedia.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
Yup, Daina's delight it is.
By Alex2893
we had some strong winds up to 40 mph today and it snapped one of my pitchers in half. I guess i need to buy of of those ring things with a stake attached.
By Dematerialize
Alex2893 wrote:we had some strong winds up to 40 mph today and it snapped one of my pitchers in half. I guess i need to buy of of those ring things with a stake attached.
You can do something similar to what I started doing now. I bought a bunch of bamboo sticks online(I guess you can find them in stores if you want) and at Walmart they sell a roll of Miracle-Gro branded twist ties. It comes with a little cutter so you can wrap it around however you want and then cut it. This is what the roll looks like(but Miracle-Gro branded):

This is how I have it around my plants keeping them upright on windy or rainy days:

It has worked great so far. They support themselves and they have a bit of space to move around but it restrains any extreme movements. We had a few days with winds gusting up to 30-45 mph and they have all endured it with ease.
By katya_dog1
bigpurp57 wrote:Get it out of the clay pot as soon as you can, it is a great looking plant though.

Sarracenia are tough as nails and can tolerate a significant amount more of ppm or minerals than other CPs. I find that as long as you flush occasionally, an unglazed pot will do fine for a season. Definitely not optimal in the long run, though.
By AaaaNinja
katya_dog1 wrote:
bigpurp57 wrote:Get it out of the clay pot as soon as you can, it is a great looking plant though.

Sarracenia are tough as nails and can tolerate a significant amount more of ppm or minerals than other CPs. I find that as long as you flush occasionally, an unglazed pot will do fine for a season. Definitely not optimal in the long run, though.
I think the main problem with unglazed clay pots is that they are prone to cracking in the winter when the moisture inside them freezes. Bits of the pot start flaking off. They're good for hot weather though because since water can evaporate off of the outside of them, it can "sweat" off excess heat.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!