FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By joecal87
hey guys I have decides to give pings a try. I got three to start with and i have 4 more coming.

so i just wanted to show my starting three, keep in mind ive only had them for a week/week n a half so i just wanted to make sure im going in the right direction because they kinda look a lil rough. just wanted to make sure its just them settling in from being shipped

im not too clear on the watering situation. some places say let them sit in water but others say water every 5-7 days. what do you guys think?

any extra input or advice is appreciated!
Attachments:
IMG_7703.jpeg
IMG_7703.jpeg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 328 times
By evenwind
If you're going to grow them long term, you'll have to find what works in your conditions. There's a lot of variables involved, including, of course, the particular species you're trying to grow. What works for me, growing Mexican Pings under my lights, is using the tray method. I give them a half inch of water and let them dry out a day or three between refills. But I'm using a totally mineral mix that doesn't retain water all that well. Your mix looks to have a lot of peat in it, so you might want to let it dry out a bit more. I think it might take a while before you come up with what's best for you. Experiment. I'd take the four that are coming maybe plant them two-by-two and give each pot different treatment.
By joecal87
evenwind wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:52 pm If you're going to grow them long term, you'll have to find what works in your conditions. There's a lot of variables involved, including, of course, the particular species you're trying to grow. What works for me, growing Mexican Pings under my lights, is using the tray method. I give them a half inch of water and let them dry out a day or three between refills. But I'm using a totally mineral mix that doesn't retain water all that well. Your mix looks to have a lot of peat in it, so you might want to let it dry out a bit more. I think it might take a while before you come up with what's best for you. Experiment. I'd take the four that are coming maybe plant them two-by-two and give each pot different treatment.

yea that one is a sandier mix - it’s a mix from california carnivores- i also lined the bottom with spag (can’t spell it lol) moss. i was gonna add three to the three i got already and the 4th in its own pot. it’ll be another week or so before i get it so i’ll see what it looks like before deciding where it should be planted

i’ve been blasting them with light for like 12-16 hours, tryna bring out the coloring. just wanted to make sure too much light won’t hurt. I use 2 36 watt sansi led so heat isn’t an issue. i grow these guys in my sundew tray. this tray i just turn on the light when i get up and turn turn it off when i go to bed lol. there are days where it gets more than 16 hours but not many. my sundews love it just wasn’t sure if the pings would
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!