FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello guys!
So as we all know, winter is right around the corner, which means cooler temperatures and shorter days. My flytraps and sarracenia have shut down for the rest of the season and are sleeping tightly. All is well for them. But what about the nepenthes and tropical dews?

Let me recap the summer and fall months right quick.
Throughout summer and fall, I had all my nepenthes and my single drosera adelae growing under a shaded tree in my backyard. They grew great! They loved the heat, long days, and humidity that came along with the weather. Lots of plant progress was made with them. Many great pitchers and leaf jumps brought me joy as they grew rapidly. Unfortunately, with the shorter days and cooler temps comes slower and less progressive growth for my babies. They get almost no direct sunlight along with the near complete shade in the backyard now.

Because of this, I have moved most of them indoors, including a truncata, rafflesiana, and a rafflesiana x viking. I only really had room for the three and left a reinwardtiana and a BE-3172 in the backyard to hopefully survive the elements (we had a slight frost the other day but they didn't seem to be affected).

But recently, an idea came to mind.
What if I grew them in the front yard where light is abundant? If I went along with this, they would be receiving multiple hours of direct sunlight a day. Possibly all day. I figured that, since it is no longer scorching, that they would be fine. But I just wanted to ask all of you and see what your opinions would be. I've never tried growing neps in full sun since I was afraid of cooking them alive.

So I would love to hear what the good people of this forum have to say! Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, happy holidays!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!