FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rellenburg
Hi, this will be my first winter with carnivorous plants and I'm wondering exactly how to go about dormancy. I have one each of purpurea, rubra, leucophylla 'Tarnok', and a 'Scarlette Belle'. I have aquired all of them in the last 2 months, and they have been growing indoors since then. The 'Tarnok' still hasn't put out any new pitchers but has a flower stalk about 6" and I wonder if I should cut it? I plan to put the plants in an unheated/uninsulated building in front of a west facing window. Do you think this will be sufficient? Also, should I gradually let them get used to the cold temps or will they be fine without it?

I do have all sorts of empty large aquariums, heat tape, digital thermostats, and insulation panels from when I bred reptiles that I can construct anything that I need to, but would like to keep it as simple as I can. Thanks for the help.
By Coldzercp
you can leave the flower how are you winters I know that The purp can go outside because it is cold hardy but I have to know your winters for the other plants .

You might be able to keep you plant outside . I reccmend you keep them outside if you winters are mild
By rellenburg
I wouldn't consider them mild. We see low 20's a good bit and sometimes into the teens. I don't really want to have to watch out for cold snaps cause my work is very unpredictable. Do you think the building would work?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!