FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kronos1996
Like others have said, some traits appear sporadically, I guess it's for people to determine if it appears frequently enough to be worthwhile. If not one could always breed it and try to isolate the trait In an improved variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Anymal911
Matt wrote:
Anymal911 wrote:SEASONS, not years... It probably loses its shape in the fall, and gains it back in the spring... I'm just suggesting he should wait, especially if nobody on here has any experience with this particular cultivar before...
Still, is it fair to ask for a refund after SEASONS with the plant? And that's just speculation. The description should really give more detail about the plant, like when to expect the arced traps, if the trait isn't shown all the time.
I'm just saying, if he actually decides to keep the plant and not send it back, he should observe it for a while before drawing conclusions... I never said he shouldn't send it back...
By SundewWolf
katya_dog1 wrote:I originally thought filiformis referred to a form of plant, see here http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-muscip ... -2138.html

Obviously I was wrong.
Yeah, Ive seen this link before and thought that's what the "filiformis" VFT looked like (really long petioles).
By mdeford09
I'd love to find a plant that had arches so pronounced like that all the time or at least did it on a seasonal basis. FTS Archangel is the best so far and it has the ability to turn dark red in the fall so, it is a really pretty and awesome plant. Definitely one of my favorite newly named plants.

I have seen quite a few other clones put out the occasional trap like this but never any this pronounced and none that happened more than just 1-2 times which is a random fluke.

My pot of super red FTS Archangel
mdeford09 liked this
By katya_dog1
Very nice, Mike! My FTS Etna puts out the occasional arched trap, but not quite as much as your FTS Archangel.
By Matt
mdeford09 wrote:I'd love to find a plant that had arches so pronounced like that all the time or at least did it on a seasonal basis.
Me too. If you find one, please let me know!
mdeford09 wrote:FTS Archangel is the best so far and it has the ability to turn dark red in the fall so, it is a really pretty and awesome plant. Definitely one of my favorite newly named plants.
Yeah, FTS Archangel is the plant I've grown (and seen in photos) with the most consistently arced traps. But even it, when it gets sufficiently large, won't always show arcing on the traps. But it's still better at producing arced traps than any other plant I've grown.
By mdeford09
yeah I have also noticed that the larger plants don't get as red either. But, that is fairly common with nearly all red flytraps.

I have one that is most certainly premium sized and it is much more green and the arches are no where near as pronounced as that pot of younger divisions. I'll take a picture of it tonight. Sadly though it is no where near as pretty as it is starting to lose its upright growth for the fall prostrate growth.
By SEWinans
I emailed the vendor and here was their response:

Hey,

Looks like you ordered it already and I shipped it out this morning :D

Filiformis is a really unique trap although at times it can look fairly typical. We have some huge ones and some that are more coiled up and probably ready for new pots. I shipped you one of the ones with more arc in the traps.

The trait is stable, this is the 3rd season I have had them and every year I notice the same metamorphosis take place. In the spring, traps shoot straight up, rather quickly and can reach exceptional heights. During that time the actual trap appears limp and dangle a bit. Eventually the trap sorts itself out and begins to open in which fused cilia are very common.

These cilia eventually unwind and you are left with an extra tall slip trap with average color. Very similar to king henry except the stems are much taller.

As the season progresses most traps begin to grow a bit lower and as filimormis grows lower, the mouths deepen up in color and heavy arcs are very common. The picture is not a random trap that had some nice arc. A nice sunny spot with a low angle of sun seems to do the trick to get them to arc even more.

Anyway, I shipped you one that is slightly larger than what is pictured, I would expect a Monday delivery.

Let me know how it does.

Thanks!

~Mike

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
By Morpheus
I always thought the Latin name "filiformis" was reserved for plants that had long threadlike leaves or something reminiscent of a thread or a filament...
By katya_dog1
Morpheus wrote:I always thought the Latin name "filiformis" was reserved for plants that had long threadlike leaves or something reminiscent of a thread or a filament...
Same. The name made absolutely no sense to me until SEWinanas posted the email she got from Mike, where he says in the spring the plant gets very tall (and I suppose they are thin as well).

Still, it's supposed to be a form, I think. :?

Okay, thanks for the info.

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!