FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
i got Fang saturday, so sunday i decided to get him a new pot, some Killarney peat moss and couldnt resist getting him some company, i bought Fang II because he had the biggest traps of them all ! hes a monster.

within a few hours of arriving home fang the 1st had caught quite a few big flies. most with their heads hanging out the trap after a day, so i gently flicked one out and the others i gave a gentle push down into the trap. they are now closing up much better.

when i repotted them i found out Fang1 was actually 4 seperate bulbs. so i gently seperated and spread them out.
fang II was put straight into the pot with his original soil undisturbed (a bit of an experiment)

these are fascinating plants. when you disturb their roots by repotting the traps curl back over to protect the now exposed roots.
your trying to be gentle when repotting but they sure dont make it easy and have quite a bit of resistance for a little plant.

ive got one pic here, the others are provided as links because i left them as full HD resolution (theres some nice pics in there though)

pic of fang 1, a few hours after arriving home he's already make himself comfy. i helped him out with the stuck bugs in his traps, as mentioned above

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5
pic 6
pic 7
pic 8

after repotting.

fang 2 reminds me of "little shop o horrors", that cheesy 80's flick. he's the one with the mutant traps, bottom right cnr of the pot :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE
Last edited by Oblivion on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lawndude84
I'd go with distilled just to be extra careful. Excellent looking plants too!
By Aging_Bourbon
Welcome! an nice looking plants!
By jiege
:o that is one big trap.
By Oblivion
jiege wrote::o that is one big trap.
have you been talking to my wife?
she says that about me all the time.

must be a case of like owner, like plant. haha :)

thx for the warm welcome guys
By kaepora gaebora
Awesome plants. :) i also have a "fang"
are you using 100% Killarney peat moss?
By linton
Oblivion wrote:he is drinking water from our "puratap" which has a dual filter
http://www.puratap.com.au

is this ok? or should i just get distilled anyway.
Welcome to the forum - avoid using the water from your Puratap , it will not remove the dissolved salts from your mains water supply which is what will make your plant sick. It would be mush safer to use rainwater or distilled water if you only have a few plants. Be careful also of the Killarney "peat" moss - if you read the fine print on the bag you will find that it is not 100% sphagnum peat moss at all! I think that it contains composted pine bark amongst other things and may be too high in nutrients for your plants. Generally, I have found Australian Peat moss to be too high in salts to be used successfully on carnivorous plants. The Canadian TE-EM moss is of good quality and is much cheaper if you can buy in bulk - $50.00 per 100 litre compressed bale which when re-hydrated will give you about 200 litres of moss.
By Oblivion
thanks for the advice.
i had a little distilled water in the shed, enough to mix up some fresh peat/perlite mix to repot them again.

i also split them into two seperate pots (one plastic, one ceramic)

even went as far as to propogate a couple of leaves in a seperate pot just to experiment with. (i figure nows the time, during grow season while theyre healthy and strong)

i ended up getting Manutec "pure" sphagnum peat moss. and manutec perlite.

i used the distilled water to wet down the mix to fill the pots.

i got one of them large plastic beer cups and filled it with demineralised water and rinsed the plants off in that. then planted, and gave probably 1 cups of demin water as a final drink to help settle the soil.
a thin layer of damp, pure peat moss (no perlite) was added around the top because i like the look of peat and dislike the perlite soil look (purely cosmetic for my own eyes)

i'd left the spray bottle filled with the last of the distilled, so they got a final spray down and little drink with that to wash the peat off their traps.

how deep should the trays be filled with water? ive got about 1/2 inch / 15mm ?
By jiege
Oblivion wrote:
jiege wrote::o that is one big trap.
have you been talking to my wife?
she says that about me all the time.

must be a case of like owner, like plant. haha :)

thx for the warm welcome guys
Lol that is why she is stuck with u
By Oblivion
some pics from today.

he sits in a south facing window all day with only a little drink in his tray and when i get home from work i stick him out in the hot afternoon sun for about 3-4hrs.

some more traps have opened today, others are starting to lift up more and look healthier.
theres even quite a few baby leaves forming near the centre and one trap thats a few days away from opening for the first time.

By Timmy
Very, very healthy looking plants. Also watch out for bugs sticking out the trap. They will die. 8-)
Timmy liked this
By Oblivion
7 days since i got him, and he's offered me a fly exoskeleton as a gift.

thanks, but no thanks.

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!