FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By Philipp_J
Hello today, im from Germany and next Thurstday i made my exam about carnivorous plants in english.
I must present round about 5 Minutes until 7 minutes and i wrote a text, which i present for the teachers with a Power Point presentation.
Here ist the text:

EUROCOM about carnivorous plants.

Hello today I tell you something about my hobby.
I will introduce you in the fascinated world of carnivorous plants, but there are very many different carnivorous plants so I pick three of my favourite carnivorous plants, which I present you in details.
These plants are eating flies and other insects, only nepenthes can eat small animals like mice.
There are different kinds of traps, to catch the insects.

Most of the carnivorous plants need full sun and much rainwater and they only grow up in a mix of sand and peat. Some plants need a dormancy in the winter so you must keep the plants cool but also bright.

First I present you something about the Dionaea muscipula in English known as Venus fly trap:
Venus fly traps are native only in South and North Carolina, here the ground is sandy and peaty and wet like a swamp. The air is damp and the weather is warm and sunny. In Carolina the winters are cold but rarely does it snow and hard frost periodes are brief so the venus fly trap spend the winter in a rhizome and in spring they start to grow. Dionaea muscipula has 3 until 4 tiny triggers hairs. The base of the traps is covered with nectar which luret the insects. When an insect touch the trigger hairs then the trap closes and the teeth prevent that the insects escape. The plant starts to produce digestive juices, so the insect will be digest. After 4 to 10 days the trap opens. Only the hard parts of the insects remained and the wind take it away.
The trap can catch up to 5 meals and then the trap dies.
The Dionaea can be propagated with different methods. When the fly trap flower pollintated by a insect you can harvest seeds and sow them in a soil mix. After few weeks you have little plants.
A other method is the division. In winter the plant produce offshoots and these offshoots can you cut and put it in an extra pot with soil.
A difficult method is the leave cutting. You cut the leave at the base and lay it in a peat-sand mix. When it runs well you have little plants in a few weeks.

The flytrap was discovered in 1760s and until the 1990s there were only a few varieties of the flytrap. In the nature there is only one form of Dionaea muscipula.
Since 1990 the number of varieties increases innormaly, because the breed was intense.

No I will go on with the next plant: Drosera in English know as sundew.
You can find Drosera all over the world also in Germany, the most Drosera grow up in a mix of sphagnum, peat and sand. As Sundews live all over the world they have adapt their selves to diverse climates. If the summer is too hot and too dry, they will survive as a tuber in summer and grow up in winter. Drosera can be as little as one cent piece and so big as a bush. Sundew has leaves with tentacles. At the end of the tentacles there are glands which produce a gluey liquid. For the insects it seems to be nectar. So they stick firmly and the tentacles curl inward and digestive Juices liquefy the insects.
Drosera was found first in 1578 but it was Charles Darwin who found out that the Drosera is a carnivouros plant. Charles Darwin published it in 1875.

The next plant is Sarracenia in English also know as The American Pitcher Plant.
Sarracenia grow up only in the South Eastern of the United States. You can find them in swamps and wetlands, the soil can be sandy or peaty. They prefer sunny places and the climate is warm, in the winter month it can be also very cold, so the Sarracenia spend the winter month in a rhizome and grow up in spring. The American Pitcher Plant is in danger, because of the Drainage of the wetlands. The flowers of the sarracenia are very big and are scenting, the seeds need a long to ripe and the seedling need also a long time until they reach maturity.
The insects are lured by the nectar and the colour of the leaves. In the nectar there is a drug called coniine, which narcotizes the insects and so they fall in to the tubular leaves and the juice in the sarracenia were digest the insects.
In 1700 Doctor Sarrazin found the first sarracenia, after the found Tournefort described the plant.
You can propagate the plants by seeds or by division of old plants.

I hope you enjoyed my presentation and could learn something about carnivorous plants.
Thank you for listening.

Is the text oky so, or should i improve some things?
The information is from the Book The Savage Garden.
I hope you can help me, because my english is not perfect im 15 Years old.
Regards Philipp
By DrNo7
A little correction: Nepenthes do not eat mice, it is a common misconception: mice sometimes accidentally fall into the pitcher traps. Sarracenia also grows in Canada as well. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By SFLguy
Yeah, Nepenthes don't like mammals I guess. This is what happens when they do accidentally get a mouse

The bottom half rots (at in this case it did)
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!