FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Reid Hardin
Back in September my nepenthes maxima fell off of a shelf and one of the basal rosettes broke off at the roots. I proceeded to cut it into two cuttings as I would with a vining plant, treat with fungicide, apply rooting horomone, and stick them in LFS. The plant from the lower part of the basal died within a month, and the upper part with intact growth point really dried up even in moist LFS. To save it, I stuck it in a glass of rain water with diluted rooting horomone and that's where it has been for the last 3 months. It perked up again and even opened a new leaf, but still no signs of root growth. I'm afraid it will eventually rot from sitting in the water, and I know basal cuttings are harder to work with. If anyone has experience propagating via basal cuttings or knows of any ways to encourage root growth in general, any advice would be great, I really want to save this plant.
By Huntsmanshorn
Up the light level but take care not to burn the leaves. Raise humidity to 70%-80%+, watch out for any fungus infestation. Airflow is important. Try to hit 80-85f daytime and 65f or so at night. Maybe things could be a little warmer but don't stress the cutting. Warmer = faster growth, too warm = stress, excess stress = dead cutting. Finally, I prefer distilled water instead of rain water for this kind of thing.
By charlie
I have always had the most success when rooting in soil. Keeping the cuttings bagged usually keeps them plenty moist, especially if you mist them every now and again.
By King Drosophyllum VI
I have a Nepenthes x Miranda plant which I propagated from a basal stem cutting 3 years ago. I have no experience with climbing stem cuttings because none of my plants have ever grown one. I pit the basal cutting in some soil, put it in a gallon plastic bag and sprayed it a couple times with distilled water then closed the bag completely and put it next to my window. I forgot about it until a few months later and it had already grown a pitcher. I also got some Nepenthes x ventrata which I grew the same way except for I didn't forget about them. The roots in my experience usually have taken more than a month to start growing.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!