FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DroseraFan
Hi,

I saw that some people ordered seeds of d.macrophylla,
it is a very good choice because it is really a beautiful tuberous.
In general germination is good to see very good first year, sometimes
the seeds take 2 years to germinate, I do not know why but it is rather rare.
Plant growth is quite slow, slower than plants like d.rupicola or auriculata, peltata but
after a few years you will have beautiful plants that can bloom a lot.
Moreover they are easy to keep.

here are some pictures

young plants just after germination

at the end of thr growing season

a young plants of 2 years

and finally a hotpot of adult plants that will bloom (photo today)

by,

droserafan
DroseraFan, DroseraFan, DroseraFan and 1 others liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
Shadowtski wrote:Which tuberous Sundrews are the easiest to grow?

Which upright or scrambling species do you recommend for a grower who does not have experience with tuberous Sundews?

Thank you.

Good growing,
Mike
I dont have a ton of experience with growing tuberous sundews as I randomly bought drosera gigantea two years ago not knowing what tuberous drosera were.. but for not really knowing how to grow tuberous drosera, I was able to keep drosera gigantea alive and growing. I did lose it to dormancy this year though because I accidentally let the tuber itself dry out too much and it was the first time it went into dormancy. I did a lot of research though and I read that Peltata and auriculata dont need stratification. They are an erect sundew and from what I read they are good starters for tuberous drosera. I am going to try growing auriculata from seed when the seeds I ordered come. Maybe try starting with one of those? Macrantha doesnt need stratification either. It might be better to start with dormant tubers too.

http://www.tuberous-drosera.net/index.htm

And

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Tube ... ndews.html

These are two helpful websites that should help get you started.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
By DeadlyCarnivore
Hungry Plants wrote:My big question is. Should I start them as soon as I get them or wait till next spring?
As soon as you get them!!!!!! Jk idk.. whatever you feel best?

By Hungry Plants
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:My big question is. Should I start them as soon as I get them or wait till next spring?

I don’t know what’s best. I’ve never grown them. Will they sprout next fall or this year?
By DeadlyCarnivore
Hungry Plants wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

I don’t know what’s best. I’ve never grown them. Will they sprout next fall or this year?
If you give them the right conditions when you get them, they should germinate soon. You could wait until next fall though to make sure they dont die. If its your first time with them wait until the beginning of next fall.

By DroseraFan
hi,

To start species like d.peltata, d.auriculata, d.ylgarnensis are really good, they grow very fast if they
are well nourished, moreover the conservation of the bulb in summer does not pose generally any problems.

In the small erected family, there is also d.modesta which is easy and produces many new bulbs each year.
D.zigzagia is also very easy but this species does not produce bulbs.

For large species erected, d.marantha is also a good choice, even better d.planchonii, they looks like
many to d.macrantha but in addition they are self-pollinated and the seeds produced germinate easily

In the family stollonifera d.rupicola is the easiest, it germinates easily, the seeds are enormous, and it grows very fast.
D.stollonifare is also quite easy but grows less quickly, but adult plants also produce small bulbs each year.

In another style, d.magna subsp imbecilla grows easily and produces a lot of bulbs each year.
D.magna is even easier, the only problem is the place because it produces so many bulbs that you will be quickly invaded.

As for sowing, I would advise you to sow now because the seeds are all from 2017, it is rara to have fresh seeds
of tuberose, this is a good chance to have a good germination.
I sowed all mine in early October and I have already released:
d.auriculata
d.peltata
d.ylgarnensis
d.lunata
d.hookeri
d.macrophylla
d.rupicola
d.graniticola
d.planchonii
d.calycina

by
DroseraFan liked this
By Hungry Plants
DroseraFan wrote:hi,

To start species like d.peltata, d.auriculata, d.ylgarnensis are really good, they grow very fast if they
are well nourished, moreover the conservation of the bulb in summer does not pose generally any problems.

In the small erected family, there is also d.modesta which is easy and produces many new bulbs each year.
D.zigzagia is also very easy but this species does not produce bulbs.

For large species erected, d.marantha is also a good choice, even better d.planchonii, they looks like
many to d.macrantha but in addition they are self-pollinated and the seeds produced germinate easily

In the family stollonifera d.rupicola is the easiest, it germinates easily, the seeds are enormous, and it grows very fast.
D.stollonifare is also quite easy but grows less quickly, but adult plants also produce small bulbs each year.

In another style, d.magna subsp imbecilla grows easily and produces a lot of bulbs each year.
D.magna is even easier, the only problem is the place because it produces so many bulbs that you will be quickly invaded.

As for sowing, I would advise you to sow now because the seeds are all from 2017, it is rara to have fresh seeds
of tuberose, this is a good chance to have a good germination.
I sowed all mine in early October and I have already released:
d.auriculata
d.peltata
d.ylgarnensis
d.lunata
d.hookeri
d.macrophylla
d.rupicola
d.graniticola
d.planchonii
d.calycina

by

I have d.macrophylla coming to me. If I understand what I've read. Place the on some wet sand and under bright light then crass my fingers.
By DroseraFan
You can increase the chances of good germination with a small GA3 treatment.
It may not be essential with this rather easy species
but I always did like that, because when I plant the tuberose, as I prepare GA3 for some delicate seeds,
I treat them all at the same time, even those that could do without it and it works well.
By Orit
i dont have the skill/patience/ability to grow tuberous drosera, though i think they're stunning and would love to grow them one day. however, i just wanted to say thank you for your extremely generous donation to the community seedbank. i have never seen so many requests at once, you must be keeping Mike very busy.

As long as you've used it I would imagine your wat[…]

is this normal for a d capensis?

While what is said above is true, I have a mini bo[…]

My newest addition I just ordered from Matt. T[…]

What recommendations do you have for types of li[…]

If you didn't get it sold to you as a B52 then it […]

So sorry for the delay, this completely slipped my[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!