FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
My Drosera 'Hercules' surprised me this morning.
It is sending up a flower scape.
I predict a seed giveaway in the not too distant future.
D Hercules Flower Scape 003 DSC08179.JPG
D Hercules Flower Scape 003 DSC08179.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 5395 times
D Hercules Flower Scape 002 DSC08181.JPG
D Hercules Flower Scape 002 DSC08181.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 5395 times
D Hercules Flower Scape 001 DSC08180.JPG
D Hercules Flower Scape 001 DSC08180.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 5395 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Ping
I thought 'Hercules' was infertile? I could have sworn Capensis x Spatulata is infertile, so shouldn't this produce none? If it did however these seeds would be Hercules x self and not actually 'Hercules' correct?
By Shadowtski
Ping wrote:I thought 'Hercules' was infertile? I could have sworn Capensis x Spatulata is infertile, so shouldn't this produce none? If it did however these seeds would be Hercules x self and not actually 'Hercules' correct?
Its status is currently being re-evaluated by the person who registered it and others.
The behavior of Drosera 'Hercules' is leading people to believe it is a extra-wide leafed variant of Drosera capensis.
Growers report good seed production and the resultant seeds are viable.
The seeds grow into carbon copies of their parent plant.
These facts would ague against hybrid origin.

Anyways....

If my plant produces seeds, I will do a free giveaway, and one of you CP growers will win a pack of fresh seeds.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By Ping
Shadowtski wrote:
Ping wrote:I thought 'Hercules' was infertile? I could have sworn Capensis x Spatulata is infertile, so shouldn't this produce none? If it did however these seeds would be Hercules x self and not actually 'Hercules' correct?
Its status is currently being re-evaluated by the person who registered it and others.
The behavior of Drosera 'Hercules' is leading people to believe it is a extra-wide leafed variant of Drosera capensis.
Growers report good seed production and the resultant seeds are viable.
The seeds grow into carbon copies of their parent plant.
These facts would ague against hybrid origin.

Anyways....

If my plant produces seeds, I will do a free giveaway, and one of you CP growers will win a pack of fresh seeds.

Good growing,
Mike
Hmm.. interesting. Does this mean that the 'Hercules' that made it into cultivation are just not truly 'Hercules' or even the original plant registered by Carson wasn't anything special?

It seems might 'Hercules' is having the same idea as yours.
Attachments:
IMG_7739.jpg
IMG_7739.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 5351 times
By twitcher
Thanks for that important clarification, Mike. I was wondering about that.
By Shadowtski
Hmm.. interesting. Does this mean that the 'Hercules' that made it into cultivation are just not truly 'Hercules' or even the original plant registered by Carson wasn't anything special?
I got my my D. 'Hercules' directly from Carson Trexler, cloned from his original Mother-Plant.
He originally received the plant from someone else who told him it was a hybrid between D. capensis White Flowered, Alba form and D aliciae.

I did some Google image searching years ago and I ran across a Drosera capensis extreme wide leaf form. It was from a German CP outfit Insectenfang.com.
It was labeled DR47 Drosera capensis Extreme Wide Leaf.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... kW8qUdaISA

Use the quotation marks.
At the top of the results you should see a series of photos that are identical in appearance to D 'Hercules'.

This makes me think it was a capensis variant that disappeared from cultivation and reappeared.

Just my 2¢ worth.
By Shadowtski
Dionae wrote:Looks a lot like capensis alba x venusta I made a long time ago. Nice plant!
To me, it's a dead ringer for that DR47 German capensis clone.
I fell in love with that plant when I first saw that picture.
I was searching for the ultimate capensis and that DR47 is as close to the ideal as I've ever seen.
Shadowtski liked this
By Copper2
Shadowtski wrote:
Dionae wrote:Looks a lot like capensis alba x venusta I made a long time ago. Nice plant!
To me, it's a dead ringer for that DR47 German capensis clone.
I fell in love with that plant when I first saw that picture.
I was searching for the ultimate capensis and that DR47 is as close to the ideal as I've ever seen.
I know you want it twice the size though.... that’s why you’re keeping the giants. I can imagine you doing cross pollinating, “Precious! Precious!! Precious!!!!!!!”
By Trapper Kay
Nice! Just saw this post. I’ll definitely get in on the giveaway when you are successful :)

I actually just ordered D. x Hercules seeds from a reputable vendor! Super excited to get them and start them from seed! It’s a beautiful looking plant and a must have in my opinion :)

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!