FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
Last year I bought a Drosera hamiltonii from P.P. It arrived healthy. I planted it in the New Zealand Sphagnum Moss that was supplied by the seller.

It's a unique looking plant, unfurling new leaves like carpet unrolling. It has the look of a Tuberous Sundew without the tuber or required dormancy. In Nature, it's often found near Cephalotus.

I've had it for over 7 months now and it just doesn't want to Booger Up. (Saw that phrase on FB and I couldn't resist borrowing it.)
New growth is healthy but there just isn't any dew, to speak of. It's growing in an uncovered 10 Gal tank under LEDs. Temperature ranges from low to mid 40s in Winter and up to low to mid 80s in Summertime. There is almost always at least a ten degree drop at night. Humidity varies from 50% to 90%. Watering is done by the tray system with 1/4 inch or so of water in the bottom of the tank at all times.

Checking with Google revealed a few things. First, this is a common problem. Second, most successful growers suggest a 1:1 Peat:Perlite mix. Third, the plant gets by well enough, without much mucilage on its tentacles.

So today I transplanted it into the recommended media mix. I also took a root cutting for propagating a new plant.

Anybody else out there grow this plant?
Anybody else out there run into this problem?
And if so, what did you do to fix it?

Good growing,
Mike
Drosera hamiltonii
Drosera hamiltonii
DSC07372.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Drosera hamiltonii after transplanting
Drosera hamiltonii after transplanting
DSC07375.JPG (229.48 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
By SerMuncherIV
I've had this species for just about a year now and it hasn't given me any problems. I've grown it in high humidity and highland temperatures with my Heliamphora, and with normal room humidity and temperatures on a grow rack under strong fluorescent lights. In both cases it did well, although it dewed up more and had better coloration under the stronger lights. I use a 1:1 peat/sand mix.

D. hamiltonii - grown with highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora

D. hamiltonii - grown in room conditions under fluorescent lights

I'm not entirely sure why your plant is acting up. The color of your plant is odd though, even under different light intensities my leaves have always been olive-green to reddish. The plants in situ also appear to follow that pattern. This makes me think that it may be a problem related to the soil chemistry, hopefully repotting will have resolved that.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By nimbulan
Your plant is very strangely pale. I would agree that it may be a reaction to soil it doesn't like, or possibly a nutrient deficiency? I just got a small plant a month ago and it's growing outside in full sun and is a nice deep red color, almost purple.
nimbulan liked this
By Shadowtski
I agree. It was not happy in the LFSM, especially when you compare it to SerMucherIVs picture.

Well, it's in 1:1 normal mix now. Let's give it time and hope for improvement.

I tried feeding it with bloodworms and I spritzed it with MaxSea monthly. Neither seemed to do much good.

But at least it's still alive.

Good growing,
Mike
By Shadowtski
I figured the weird color was because it was within 16 inches of my MarsHydro 300 LED lights.

If it doesn't perk up within a few weeks, I'll move it to a spot with lower light intensity.

But time will tell.

Good growing,
Mike
By fattytuna
Something that's not often discussed is the effect of soil nutrients on carnivorous plants. There's scientific papers out there that indicate that many Drosera species do uptake minerals and nutrients through their roots. It's my personal theory that although the plants cant tolerate high levels of some minerals (like calcium), the existence of low concentrations of minerals/nutrients in the soil are important the plant's health.

To me, that plant looks extremely iron deficient (iron is needed to generate chlorophyll, which accounts for a green colour). I think repotting in a peat-based substrate could help, since presumably it contains trace levels of iron (I haven't tested this or read into the literature, it's just a theory at this point). It could also explain why some plants decline in old media and are refreshed by a repotting.
fattytuna liked this
By uusa2000
I have same problem with my sundews, I had put them outside in spring. And they went dry.. My solution, i saturate their soil with water and put pot back in its closed growth chamber inside with bright cfl bulbs and a fan for circulation. The next day, they'll dew up. I just keep them in the bucket now. I have no measurements of temp/humidity, the hot and wetness raises humidity I guess.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
uusa2000 liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!