FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By stepfarmer
Hi all,

I recently took a chance and ordered my first drosera off a shop on etsy. Due to weekends and the 4th, the poor plant was in transit for 10 days in the heat (80-95 degrees). When I received it today, it looked pretty pitiful. I've already messaged the seller on etsy for a refund, but as they (rightfully) don't do returns, I wanted to know if there's any possibility to salvage it? I have it soaking in distilled water right now and I have it near a small humidifier. The roots looked fine, but I'm afraid it's a goner. This is my first foray into growing carnivorous plants, so I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips to help this thing bounce back (if it even can)
Attachments:
sad alba.jpg
sad alba.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 939 times
By ChefDean
Pot it up, keep it in a tray of water, and keep it on a warm, sunny windowsill. Then wait. I've had Capes in worse condition come back, but it can take a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
By Intheswamp
First thing, welcome to the forum, Stepfarmer! Great people and info here!!!

Was the packing material still moist when you received it? At this point you have nothing to lose by giving it some time to recuperate. It will take some patience. You've learned a cardinal rule of ordering plants online...look at the shipping times and forecasted temperatures during transit. And, even when you plan the best that you can, it seems sometimes a truck breaks down and sits in the sun, or the carrier "forgets" to drop it off at your house (no other mail so they'll deliver it tomorrow when you have more mail :roll: ) so it sits in a hot vehicle for an extra day. Etc.,.

While I'm at it....check out the seed bank. If you're in the states you can get seeds for the cost of two envelopes and two stamps!!! Best deal since Krystals had 4 Cheeseburgers for a dollar!!!! :mrgreen: Best wishes!!!
stepfarmer liked this
By stepfarmer
Thank you!!

It was unfortunately bone-dry. I did leave it to soak in water overnight, and I now have it potted and sitting in a tray of water as ChefDean recommended. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

And thank you for the suggestion as well! I don't think I would be super successful growing them from seed though, haha.
By Intheswamp
“Bone dry”…that doesn’t sound good. :?

Starting sundews from seed isn’t that difficult. You really oughta give it a shot! The seeds are super tiny so if you do get some open the envelope over a sheet up white paper…I fold the edges of a sheet of paper up and tape the corners to form a tray. Don’t sneeze…paper flakes are bigger than some of these seeds. An 8-ounce styrofoam coffee cup is all the area you need to start with but something like a 4” pot or making a small plastic tray with holes in the bottom will let you spread them out some. If you decide to try it holler on the forum for planting tips.
stepfarmer liked this

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I was at Home Depot the other day when I spotted s[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

FB_IMG_1714215761115.jpg This is the first one I[…]

Rain

Got your buckets ready!??? ;) Yes!. 30 gall[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!