FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By fluffy123
The English Sundew is a perennial herb that is found in northern North America, Europe, and northern Asia. The tropical form is found in Hawaii. The temperate form has a short growing season. They come out of dormancy in early spring and will go dormant in late August early September, and will survive arctic outbreaks, and snowstorms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Vega
I haven't been able to find a seller of D. Anglica in the states. Is there a reason why it's rare in the US?
By fluffy123
Image My Drosera x southern cross had already developed hibernacula ( winter resting buds ), and my southern cross seedlings are starting to go dormant too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Vega wrote:I haven't been able to find a seller of D. Anglica in the states. Is there a reason why it's rare in the US?
I believe it is simply because it is much easier to grow and propagate tropical and subtropical Drosera than temperate plants. No dormancy needed and many of the tropical and subtropical plants flower almost nonstop, the seeds don't need cold stratification and, in fact, will often become weedy, popping up in pots all over the greenhouse. On top of that, most people prefer plants can be grown inside, year round, so even less motivation to provide temperates.
By SundewWolf
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Vega wrote:I haven't been able to find a seller of D. Anglica in the states. Is there a reason why it's rare in the US?
I believe it is simply because it is much easier to grow and propagate tropical and subtropical Drosera than temperate plants. No dormancy needed and many of the tropical and subtropical plants flower almost nonstop, the seeds don't need cold stratification and, in fact, will often become weedy, popping up in pots all over the greenhouse. On top of that, most people prefer plants can be grown inside, year round, so even less motivation to provide temperates.
Rotundifolia and intermedia seem more commonly available though, and I wouldn't figure their care is much different than a cold-hardy anglica. I figure someone must have a bunch of them somewhere right? But I never see any sales. I have the Alakai swamp anglica but still haven't found a cold hardy anglica division or seeds for sale. I'm eager to start a 6-inch pot colony in live sphag like my rotunds and inters and grow them next to the sarracenia trays..
By mcgrumpers
fluffy123 wrote:Yes, because they like night time dips into the50s like Drosera Rotundifoila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:shock:

I have a few tiny seedlings that I keep in room temperature (70-75 F). Is the night time temperature dip essential or can I get away without it?
danglica.jpg
danglica.jpg (198.15 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
By Huntsmanshorn
mcgrumpers wrote:
I have a few tiny seedlings that I keep in room temperature (70-75 F). Is the night time temperature dip essential or can I get away without it?
danglica.jpg
I've had about 30+/- seedlings in a pot within your temp range since the end of May and they are doing just fine so I wouldn't think temp drop is essential although it may be preferred.

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!