FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ras
Does anyone have a guide to hybridizing drosera? What exactly to do ,what works best, tips, which species can breed together,ect
Is it just mainly cross pollination? So like rubbing flowers together? Any info helps ty
By Ras
PeatMoss wrote:Nothing on which species are compatible, but this is the technique of the foremost Drosera hybridizer...

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89161
Tyvm sir, guess ill try my luck with choosing compatible species. I want to cross my Madagascarinesis Botswana with delsiana or. natalensis? W/e they're calling it these days :). (I don't know how to spell them either ..Sue me ;D )
Do you know if that would work?
By PeatMoss
Laying dow the science!

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/DroseraHybrids.php

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/sa ... 1Colch.htm

I know Wikipedia is not a credible source, blah blah blah. But this should provide a good start as to what a hybrid exactly is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)

Have fun!
PeatMoss liked this
By bombsboy
Dionea flowers are quite hard to catch open, as sometimes they stay open for an hour or two at most.
For Sarrs, I have read somewhere that you can store the pollen if your are careful enough, on the tip of a cotton ball or a brush, surrounded in silicone or something like that.
Most flowers of different species in a family of plants will open at different times, esp. for Sarrs. you may want to read up on the months of flowering in some other guide.
By Ras
bombsboy wrote:Dionea flowers are quite hard to catch open, as sometimes they stay open for an hour or two at most.
For Sarrs, I have read somewhere that you can store the pollen if your are careful enough, on the tip of a cotton ball or a brush, surrounded in silicone or something like that.
Most flowers of different species in a family of plants will open at different times, esp. for Sarrs. you may want to read up on the months of flowering in some other guide.

Well I grow my plants indoor under lights, also feed them manually, alot.. like everytime I get bored lol. So they tend to flower rapidly, pretty much all year .. its almost becoming a problem, I find myself tucking flower stalks behind eachother to clear space :p so catching them open at the same time shouldn't be all too difficult.
/edit. Yous said dionea ;) I thought you said drosera. I don't have any vft's ATM but you reminded me of another question. Can you breed dionea x drosera? I've read you can with typical dionea x with drosera regia. I've just never seen it..
By Matt
stitz25b wrote:i think u can breed dionaea x drosera regia although this hybrid is extremely unstable and wont survive for long
Hah, you're making a joke, right? I'm pretty sure that Dionaea isn't able to be hybridized with any other genus including Drosera.
Matt liked this
By Ras
Matt wrote:
stitz25b wrote:i think u can breed dionaea x drosera regia although this hybrid is extremely unstable and wont survive for long
Hah, you're making a joke, right? I'm pretty sure that Dionaea isn't able to be hybridized with any other genus including Drosera.
There's only one true way to find out ey? ;) though from what ive heard / read, it is infact possible but again, imo the only true way to know is do it yourself . If anyone has tried this lmk how it went :p
By Matt
PeatMoss wrote:There was a post a while back on the forum about this, some good links about it but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remeber who made the post?
Hmm, I don't recall seeing that post at all, but it could have been one that I overlooked.
Ras wrote:though from what ive heard / read, it is infact possible
Where did you hear/read that Dionaea can be hybridized with other genera? Can you post a link to the source?
By Darkrai283
D.regia and Dionaea muscipula are the 2 species which have the closest chromosome numbers between them. D.regia with 34 chromosomes and DM with 32 chromosomes. With DMs being the decendants of droseraceae, it should be somewhat possible to an extent. Though, I have read posts about people experimenting by crossing their D.regia and DM on the web around a year ago (i think it was on CPUK forums) and failing. Many produced unviable seeds and the seeds that were viable were very weak and died as soon as it germinated.
I can't find the thread I read it on now though... :(

Anyone want to try crossing aldrovandas with VFTs next? :mrgreen:
By sundewman
Shoot me an email and I'll get you the lists of most known chromosome counts for compatibility within Drosera species.
Regardless of the same chromosome numbers, they may not be related enough to have fertile offspring for one reason or another...but you'll at least have a much better chance!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!