FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By corbeano
So I was pondering whether to plant some Darlingtonia (mountain) seed in my mini bog with my sarracenia. I'm over here in the midwest (Iowa) where I typically have a lot of 90 degree days in July and August, with April-May and Sept being 70-80 degrees. The bog is pretty big (4x4 feet?) and I'd place the seed where I'm growing live sphagnum. I guess my questions is: would the bog be big enough to protect the roots from temperatures fluctuations and would the Live Sphagnum be enough to insulate it? I know Darlingtonia benefit from cooler nights and our summer nights stay pretty warm. Anyone else have any experience/success?
By Shes Crofty
The bog is plenty big enough, I have 100+ seedlings in dark green 6 inch pots in full sun for 8+ hours a day. Just make sure the top of the bog never dries out, constantly keeping the seeds moist. I have never had any over heating problems with my seedlings, but you could always water them with ice cold water to be sure.

Don't be bummed if you don't see anything for a while; I see new darlingotnia sprouts quite often and I haven't planted any new seeds in the seedling pots since last year.. lol.
By corbeano
Thanks! I'm guessing you have milder summers in Seattle? Looks like you have perfect Darlingtonia weather.
By Shes Crofty
Yeah we have some pretty mild summers here that are basically perfect for Darlingtonia. We've only had 5 days over 90F the whole summer so far. September is usually the hotter month, bringing in 4 of those 5 over 90F days. All the rain really helps too.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!