FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By rpe
1. nesler
2. CaMoreno3
3. tejan24
4. rpe
5. ?

Matt I have paypal but I have never done a order like this before. I sure would like to get a pack.
By Veronis
Put me down for a packet if I'm eligible, please. :)
Last edited by Veronis on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Veronis
Awesome, thanks a ton!

I have a few questions as this is one thing I've never done -

1. When should I put them in a germination container? Right away? I assume if I wait until spring the seeds will be no good.
2. You said bright indirect light is best in your "Growing VFT's from seed" article. Do you mean keep them in a bright room but not in direct sunlight, or do you mean I should use fluorescents?
3. What about dormancy? If they start growing in, say, October...do they need to go dormant immediately for winter, or should I keep them conditioned for a growing season through this first winter (2009) and let them go dormant in late fall 2010?
4. What kind of VFT's are they? Typicals?
By Matt
Valydius wrote:1. When should I put them in a germination container? Right away? I assume if I wait until spring the seeds will be no good.
Yes, plant them as soon as you get them. The longer you wait, the less germination you'll have.
Valydius wrote:2. You said bright indirect light is best in your "Growing VFT's from seed" article. Do you mean keep them in a bright room but not in direct sunlight, or do you mean I should use fluorescents?
Fluorescents work well for germination. I usually just put them out with my plants, but under the bench or under a shade cloth or somewhere that doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight.
Valydius wrote:3. What about dormancy? If they start growing in, say, October...do they need to go dormant immediately for winter, or should I keep them conditioned for a growing season through this first winter (2009) and let them go dormant in late fall 2010?
You could grow them all winter if you wish or you could just sow the seed, let them sprout and then enter dormancy. It's up to you. All of the above should work.
Valydius wrote:4. What kind of VFT's are they? Typicals?
The seed is from a variety of plants, but you can't really label seed as being of a particular kind or type as most cultivars aren't reproducible through seed.
By Veronis
Gotcha.

Any idea what difference it would make to the plants (size/initial growth and life span-wise) if I skip this winter's dormancy vs. letting them go dormant?

I'd think in the wild they're sprout, go dormant, then pick back up in the Spring, so maybe that's the best choice? If skipping dormancy won't hurt their growth or life span, though, I'd prefer to skip the first dormancy so I have some VFT's to care for over the winter.

Second question - putting them outside; I live in Harrisburg and here's what our weather is like this time of year (http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... undeclared). Is it still safe to put them outside, and if they are outside in the shade, do they still need a lid with holes in it, or should it be left open in the case of having it outside?
By Matt
Valydius wrote:I'd think in the wild they're sprout, go dormant, then pick back up in the Spring, so maybe that's the best choice? If skipping dormancy won't hurt their growth or life span, though, I'd prefer to skip the first dormancy so I have some VFT's to care for over the winter.
They grow so slow that the ones that I kept under fluorescent lights last winter all appear to be about the same size as the ones I let go dormant...maybe just a tad bigger.

I kept some of them under fluorescent lights for the same reason you state; so that I'd have something to care for over the winter.
Valydius wrote:Second question - putting them outside; I live in Harrisburg and here's what our weather is like this time of year (http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... undeclared). Is it still safe to put them outside, and if they are outside in the shade, do they still need a lid with holes in it, or should it be left open in the case of having it outside?
Your weather there is great right now. The only thing you have to be careful of is the rain storms. Make sure that the seeds aren't exposed to rain or they'll get splashed out of the pots.

You can just set them in a spot outside in bright shade. If you can give them a bit of morning sun, that would be great. If you have a lid with holes in it, it will help keep the humidity up and the seeds should germinate faster. Last year I just put a bunch in pots and set them outside in direct sun with a 60% shade cloth over them. Took them 5 weeks to germinate. With a lid they should germinate in 3 weeks or so.
By nesler
tejan24 wrote:thanks agean matt, just got the seeds in today.
Really? I wonder if there's a postal worker somewhere with a tray of seeds sitting behind their house...

Patience patience...
By nesler
CaMoreno3 wrote:Got the seeds today Matt!

Thanks!
Well I'm worried now. :-/ I'm in CA and haven't received them yet. Hopefully it's just bein' slow and taking its sweet time.
By rpe
T hank's Matt I guess I did the paypal thing right. I will be updating my grow list soon. I ordered some more plants and seeds.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!