FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mrsonicmadness
Hello, my Diana's Delight pitcher plant does not look so well. Since winter/dormancy is coming, i don't know if it will make it or not. Here is a picture: http://imgur.com/I1X8K . Can someone help, and give recommendations on how to help it to grow? How can i help pitchers grow bigger and better?
By Coldzercp
It is going to be winter soon so to get better pitchers you have to wait till next year
but here is the good news that only takes 3 months ( that is short ) if you give enough light and I find feed it will help :D
If you can let the plant successively get trough the dormancy your all good ;D
Coldzercp liked this
By steve booth
Hi MrSM

Not sure where you are in the world, but that plant looks fairly typical of one going into doormancy and ideally it will need a temperature of 3-10C till spring comes and it starts growing again.
If you have those sort of conditions naturally leave it outside and keep just moist, otherwise protect from winter freezing and more particularly desiccating winds if possible, although short periods of freezing dont hurt as long as you dont get lots of repeat freezing and thawing.
Please dont try and keep it growing through winter by keeping it warm, it may last one year or maybe two if you do this, but eventually without a rest it will get exhausted and die.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By mrsonicmadness
I live in USA, South Louisiana, it is getting colder now. Thanks everyone, I thought I was doing something wrong, but it is nature doing *It's Natural Thing*. Well, next Spring it is! (BTW, this is two pitcher plants in one pot. I bought a good healthy one from a garden center a month ago. Then i went to the store for some soil, and they had pitcher plants on sale! :o I bought one. I didn't want to get another *Sale Pitcher plant* from the store. The *Sale Pitcher plants* were on the edge of death. :cry: I am surprised that I nursed this one back to health.) :D
By Jimbok3
don't worry southern Louisiana is within the plants natural growing zones. I lived down south (born in new Orleans) for a while and the carnivorous plants will generally be fine outside it does not get below freezing often enough for it to be a problem. Also welcome to the site! :)
Jimbok3 liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!