FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jimbob999
Hey guys!

I have just received my Dewy Pines seeds courtesy of the FTS and this is my first chance of trying to grow them. I currently have a few vft, sundews and neps which are all growing really well, and so wanted to give these a try.

My problem is medium. I have read in several places including the FTC care sheet for dewy pines and I have found a common theme of perlite, vermiculite, sand/stones, while also germinating the seed in its final pot (aka no re potting).

From growing my other CP's I only have peat moss and perlite (although live sphagnum has run out). I dont really want to go out and buy loads of medium for my 10 seeds but I do want to give them a good chance of growing. Has anyone got any ideas for me that could help? Would peat and major perlite be good enough?

Cheers

Jimbob

PS. Thanks FlyTrapStore for my Dionaea, Darlingtonia and Dewy Pine seeds! Great service to the UK!
By Daniel_G
A dewy pine will need a big pot. If you buy loads of media, start yours off in 10 peat pots, then when they germinate, use the load of media you have to pot them into large pots, one each :)
By jimbob999
Thanks for the help!

Well I scarred, soaked and have planted in plenty perlite and vermiculite and little peat. However when I went to water them a bit, they kinda moved moved and floated around on the surface, and now I dont have a clue where the seeds are :( Lets just hope I see them growing soon :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!