FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By jaybon
I have been using De ionised water that I purchased from the local Garage/pertol station, is this suitable and OK to use as water for the plant?

Also I think I may have over watered my plant, it has not been too hot and has stood in 0.5-1cm water most days in a tray. Is it wise to re pot the plants with new soil/moss peat or should I just dry it out a bit more and water less?

The last tip i received was to let the plant soak jup tray water and only re water once it begins to get dry, is this the best method?

thanks

Ned
By Steve_D
Venus Flytraps will often grow healthier when allowed to dry to just moist between thorough waterings, and not to stay completely saturated wet all the time. The tray method can be helpful for short stretches of time such as vacations, to make sure the plant and medium does not dry out, but it can often encourage fungal infection, rot, and weak, spindly growth if relied on all the time. :)
Steve_D liked this
By Grey
I personally use deionized water for all my plants without trouble :) It may be worth looking to get it tested with a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter in case you are unsure of its content. The TDS meter will read the parts per million (PPM) of the water thus telling you if it's considered safe for carnivorous plants.

The deionized water I use gets a general PPM reading of 2. Anything below 50 is believed to be safe. TDS meters can be purchased online and are a fantastic addition to any carnivorous plant enthusiast.
Grey liked this
Uh. That's not where that goes.

So there appears to be traps growing out of an old[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot.[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Starter Incredible Redhulk?

Hi Hi! Did anyone happen to take pictures of their[…]

Cape Alba

My only Cape “Alba” sundew that surviv[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!