FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I saw my first wild carnivorous plant yesterday! Leah and I went down to go swimming in the Smith River and we stopped off the side of the road at a "Botanical Trail", which is also known as the Darlingtonia Trail. Man, was it exciting! Photos here:
Darlingtonia californica in the wild
By renesis
Yeah, quite amazing. They are always much smaller in the pics I see of the ones in cultivation. I guess its true that they are some of the more finicky CPs being that its hard to replicate their growing conditions. That's what has held me off from getting one.
By Matt
I don't have one either. After seeing them in the wild yesterday, I want one now though! I think that if you give them a large pot, they'll do well in cultivation. Sounds like they just need a stable temperature for their roots.

I got some seed a while back and I just put it into cultures the other day. I hope to see some germination soon.
By Eric
Wow I wish I was in Oregon.
By Esly
Woah!

They were huge :shock:
I wonder if you can feed it tiny children :lol:
By watnazn
No one cares for plants like mother nature. But matt you are so lucky because you can grow them in your backyard easy.
By hackerberry
Wow, they look like monsters! MY only cobra plant in TC has been growing really slow. I have to experiment more on my hormones.

hb
By mktamin
wow, those pics are amazing! I've always been intersted in trying to grow darlingtonia, but after seeing those pics, now I must have one! :D DOes anybody know where to buy a good-sized one? Most major CP suppliers only have seedlings, And I'm probably the most impatient person on this site :mrgreen: I noticed that Cook's carnivorous plants have some, though the size isn't specified, and I've heard negative things about them...
By doku
mktamin wrote:wow, those pics are amazing! I've always been intersted in trying to grow darlingtonia, but after seeing those pics, now I must have one! :D DOes anybody know where to buy a good-sized one? Most major CP suppliers only have seedlings, And I'm probably the most impatient person on this site :mrgreen: I noticed that Cook's carnivorous plants have some, though the size isn't specified, and I've heard negative things about them...
Really mktamin? I've always ordered from them and never have problems. If there's an issue i always e-mail them and it's always resolved. I actually have 7 Darlingtonia, 4 of which come from Cooks. They are good size for their price. So far mine have been growing well and i keep them outside all year under the southern CA sun. Well, 5 are outside, the other 2 i actually keep them in partial sun with my intermediate Nepenthes, which are doing really well also.
By Matt
doku wrote:
mktamin wrote:wow, those pics are amazing! I've always been intersted in trying to grow darlingtonia, but after seeing those pics, now I must have one! :D DOes anybody know where to buy a good-sized one? Most major CP suppliers only have seedlings, And I'm probably the most impatient person on this site :mrgreen: I noticed that Cook's carnivorous plants have some, though the size isn't specified, and I've heard negative things about them...
Really mktamin? I've always ordered from them and never have problems. If there's an issue i always e-mail them and it's always resolved. I actually have 7 Darlingtonia, 4 of which come from Cooks. They are good size for their price. So far mine have been growing well and i keep them outside all year under the southern CA sun. Well, 5 are outside, the other 2 i actually keep them in partial sun with my intermediate Nepenthes, which are doing really well also.
He's probably getting that information from me and maybe another couple of people here. A few of us have had a bad experience with Cook's.

The plants that they sent me were puny and all of them ended up dying after me messing with them for a couple of months trying to nurse them back to health.
By watnazn
I would have to back up cooks too. They might have been bad when you bought from them matt, what did you get? I've ordered really nice sundews from them and they gave me good size plants. I've also bought a nepenthes which was good as described.

Maybe you should try again :). I also like them because their pricing is extremely fair, actually really cheap. Get a pygmy sundew haha, they are always great and they are only like 1 dollar. I ordered 3 plants from them once, and it ended up being about 10 dollars including shipping.

The floating ones may work as long as the water is[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!