FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
Its been a few weeks and these plants seem to have only kept slowly deteriorating... maybe I'm keeping the soil to wet.. I'm not sure. I left one outside and the other trio on my window still...they seem to be in the same condition. (the one that was outside may even be worse) I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.. Does anyone know what the problem with these might be?
Attachments:
CarnivoresMay 006.JPG
CarnivoresMay 006.JPG (274.58 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
CarnivoresMay 008.JPG
CarnivoresMay 008.JPG (163.83 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
CarnivoresMay 013.JPG
CarnivoresMay 013.JPG (255.62 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
By Vern
I'm not familiar with Fraisier's Island and I've only been growing for a year, but it looks like the top one may be getting too much water. Mine looks like that when it gets rained on and gets water logged. If that one is outside, I always find that it perks up after I bring it inside for a few days to let the soil dry out a little, then put a cover on it to see if the dew is still coming up, if its coming up, I see it as a sign of its still alive.

The ones on the bottom don't look like they're getting enough light to me, they're so pale.

Also... I think I spot some asexual growth on the bottom right. :D You should save that, in case if they don't fair well.

Take a tooth pick and check the leaves too, I found some mold under my sundews once and they were not happy.
By fattytuna
The plants look like they've been kept too wet and are light depleted.
D. spatulata varieties (including Fraser's island) grow best in full sun. I would move them to a bright spot, that might get around 1-2 hours of direct sunlight and introduce them to full sun slowly.
A spot that would receive full sun in the mornings or afternoon, but is shaded in the midday might also be suitable.
This variety should be bright orange/red if healthy and if given a lot of light.
By SundewWolf
Ok I'll let them dry out a bit and put the 120v 13w light on them to see if it will help these and my Adelae a little bit. Hopefully it will get warm soon so I can move them outside. My capensis alba is doing great however, and it is in the same growing conditions. I was a little confused as to why it is doing better than the others, I thought it was semi tropical which would do poorly on my window if the other sundews don't like the current situation.
By Leathal_Traps
It seems like a case of root rot/ lack of light. I have drosera spathulata that grow as quickly as hell, and produce tons of flowers. I would let the soil dry, and re-pot is as soon as you can. I would take one leaf pulling from each plant, and wait for them to grow at least one leaf with dew. Once it does, feed it an ant or two to speed up the growth rate, and it will recover just fine.
By SundewWolf
I repotted these guys on Sunday into Long fiber sphagnum. It's mosser lee brand and my orchids & nepenthes have responded extremely well. The nepenthes was not improving for over a month and new growth kept browning. I put my nepenthes in the LF sphagnum and it has grown a new main vine along with three smaller vine growth points at the "use to be dying" top. I'm hoping the LF sphagnum will do the trick for these guys as well. The new growth on the spatulatas is still plump and growing so I'm crossing my fingers for a recovery!
By David F
Clean water, lots of light, direct or indirect as long as it's a lot.
By Jmn16150
As a heads up... BE AWARE Mosser Lee brand isn't sterile and produces many micro mites and fungi!!!!! I used it to keep the soil in pots... now mycelia is running rampant all over my room.
I had to inoculate every pot with trich to combat the mycelia from establishing by spores.

I have two colonies of spat 'fraser island'... I keep it really waterlogged on my windowsill. They get red in spring and summer; they also flower very prolifically. They seem to despise water getting onto their leaves and starts a humic build up when the center of the rosette gets wet.
They are small; but indeed very strong and adaptable. They are also good at recovering.

Sorry to hijack this thread; but does anyones fraser island produce fetile seeds?
By Jmn16150
I don't use lfs much... I have lfs growing, but it is still little. Since mosser lee is the only brand of dead lfs around here; I'm struggling to find a better brand for my nep:( I need to check the internet.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!