FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jeeper
Well I must be doing something right, my d. intermedia is sending up flowers! Is this the proper time of year for this? I know they're self pollenators, how long does it take for seed to set?

Sorry for the phone pic, it's all I have... (Flowers to right of growth point in that blurry section :lol: )
IMG_20180719_070654498.jpg
IMG_20180719_070654498.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1825 times
By Shadowtski
Jeeper wrote:Well I must be doing something right, my d. intermedia is sending up flowers! Is this the proper time of year for this? I know they're self pollenators, how long does it take for seed to set?

Sorry for the phone pic, it's all I have... (Flowers to right of growth point in that blurry section :lol: )
This is the right time of year for D intermedia flowers.

The flowers open, one a day, for an hour or so in the morning. They do self-pollinate. They satart from the bottom up.

It takes about a month or so for seed to develop.
The seed pod turns dark brown or black, dries out, and cracks open.

For valuable or rare seed, I harvest each pod individually when it's ready.
For D. intermedia, I'd harvest the whole flower stalk when the seed pod at the top is ready.
Pop it in a paper envelope for a week or two to dry out. (never plastic baggie, it'll develop mold real quick)
After a week, hold the cut end of the stalk with the pods inside the envelope and twirl it rapidly for a second or two.
The seeds should come flying out of the seedpods and end up in the envelope.
Just don't sneeze, they're tiny.
Pack them up and store in the fridge.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By fluffy123
Yes it is the right time of year for it to flower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Jeeper
Shadowtski wrote:
Jeeper wrote:Well I must be doing something right, my d. intermedia is sending up flowers! Is this the proper time of year for this? I know they're self pollenators, how long does it take for seed to set?

The flowers open, one a day, for an hour or so in the morning. They do self-pollinate. They satart from the bottom up.

For D. intermedia, I'd harvest the whole flower stalk when the seed pod at the top is ready.
Pop it in a paper envelope for a week or two to dry out. (never plastic baggie, it'll develop mold real quick)
After a week, hold the cut end of the stalk with the pods inside the envelope and twirl it rapidly for a second or two.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Exactly the info I was looking for Mike, thanks! Hopefully this will be my first contribution to the seed bank (if it's needed).
By riveraXVX
D. Intermedia were the first we ever harvested in our household the kid and I! got a nice pot of them from the UNCC greenhouse last fall complete with ripe ready to cut and harvest stalks!

real easy to get the seeds from - followed Shadowtski's advice when we did it back in September, seeds germinated quickly and most of those plants are actually flowering now as we speak! less than a year later
By KStap18
Shadowtski wrote:

Sorry for the phone pic, it's all I have... (Flowers to right of growth point in that blurry section Image )

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks for the tip Mike!

Just a quick question, when you say that you cut the stalk off when the last flower is ready, what constitutes as ready?

Is it that it has just finished blooming and the pod is now closed? Or is it that the last pod has turned brown/black?
By Shadowtski
Just a quick question, when you say that you cut the stalk off when the last flower is ready, what constitutes as ready?

Is it that it has just finished blooming and the pod is now closed? Or is it that the last pod has turned brown/black?
The seed pod is ready when it's dried out, cracking open, and Brown/Black in color.

Good growing,
Mike
By KStap18
Shadowtski wrote:

The seed pod is ready when it's dried out, cracking open, and Brown/Black in color.

Good growing,
Mike
Ahh got it. Thanks for the clarification!!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!