FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
I checked on my dielsianas again today, and the flowers don't seem to be opening properly; they're just peaking out and appear to be shriveling up.

I may just be unfamiliar with how they open, but this doesn't look right...

The air is pretty warm around the flowers, so I've moved the pot a bit so it's less so.
Attachments:
d_dielsiana_flower2.jpg
d_dielsiana_flower2.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
d_dielsiana_flower1.jpg
d_dielsiana_flower1.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
By renesis
I find when they are kept indoors, the flowers barely open if at all. They seem to self-pollinate quicker indoors, and just shrivel up and get right to seeds! Outdoors, I've noticed the flowers will open for 6-8 hours during the day, and shrivel up at night.

Not sure if this has something to do with the temps or humidity?

Either way, I think your plant is fine! :D
By Veronis
Renesis, thanks for the quick response man.

I thought drosera opened flowers and they hung out for days or weeks before shriveling up. Do they really not last that long? And is it because they self-pollinate that they don't bother to keep the flowers open?

I'm curious why mine are shriveling so quickly. Granted, I haven't checked them before they look like this and I have others on the way, so maybe they are opening for a few hours before shriveling. I'll keep a close eye and let ya'll know.
By Matt
Veronis wrote:I thought drosera opened flowers and they hung out for days or weeks before shriveling up. Do they really not last that long? And is it because they self-pollinate that they don't bother to keep the flowers open?
My experience is the same as Renesis'. In fact, I can't even recall seeing the D. dielsiana flowers open in my greenhouse for more than a day at most. They usually go straight to setting seed. I think in most species of flowering plants the flower begins to close shortly after successful pollination. In the case of phalaenopsis orchids, they flower can remain open for over a month if they're not pollinated. But once pollinated the flower will die within two days.
By Veronis
Thanks.

I assume it's because they self-pollinate, the flowers never stay open for long?

One other question - does anyone have any experience with whether D. Adelae's flowers stay open very long, or under what conditions they might stay open longer? I'm really looking forward to those.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!