FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Caleboy 123
How would one help a sundew escape it's cube of death? (Lowes Cube)
Lol it's a dumb question but I don't want to get dew stuck all over me.
By mktamin
If you're worried about getting your hands sticky, just use gloves, though the dew can be washed off easily, and if the drosera is healthy, it will quickly replace any dew you rub off.
By sipecsus
yeah dude , stop being such a girl! lol u can open it from the bottom, nd slide it out, thats how i get them out! but u can easily wash the dew off!
By kevinqwe
why do you call it cube of death? is that what the store calls it or you just heard?
By mktamin
I think it's called "the cube of death" or "the death cube" (name created by VFT owners) because the shape of it is obviously a cube, and it can quickly kill VFT's and other CP's. I've never actually seen one at my local home improvement stores, but I saw pictures somewhere on this site.
By Bud
As much as you want to do this quickly, and understandably so; more than worry about messing with the dew, you should be more concerned about hardening off your new plant. You should adapt the plant slowly from the very humid environment it had adapted to in the cube. If you remove this humid environment too quickly, the present growth may diminish and not recover to top health; however, any new growth will be adapted to the new conditions. I think it’s suggested to gradually make this change over about two weeks- Ya, it’s a pain, but in most cases it can make it difference. This acclimating is known as hardening off. It is important harden off in any type of environmental change including light and temperature. Plants actually make physical changes to adapt to conditions, and when big changes happen too quickly they can’t handle it.

Good luck & Good growing
Bud
By Zomboni
I rescued a sundew from lowes death cube, the way they package it was hard to get it out without uprooting the plant, but I just got scissors and cut the planstic and lifted the pot out.
Last edited by Zomboni on Sun May 23, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By sundewman
Actually, as long as the cube doesn't overheat it can produce amazing results. My friend had one growing under lights and we coined it the cube of life instead. D. adelae (which is normally the sundew that people get from Lowes) prefers higher humidity when it is adjusting to higher light intensity, so I transplanted mine into a larger pot that I first placed saran wrap over, until it was established. Now the pot looks like this (top left and to the right of the pot):
By Steve_D
sundewman wrote:Now the pot looks like this
WOW! Great growing! :mrgreen:
By Zomboni
OOhh... I see a cephalotus in that pot.
andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!