FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By OhGreatOne
My sphagnum moss has grown a thin layer of slime I believe to be algae. What is the best way to go about removing it? I have read to use less water but I obviously don't want to dehydrate my plant. Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks!
By Apollyon
Well if you let the top layer dry out, the algae will go away. I've also heard of people picking it out and replacing it. Something creative I read was a guy who cut a piece of cardboard or other material(possibly plastic, which would be safer overall) with a hole in the center for the plant and kept it covered until the algae died off. He didn't have to actually mess with the media at all. I thought about doing that with my flytraps but I ended up throwing them outside.
By Apollyon
It was essentially a disc with a hole in the middle as well as a cut to the edge to be able to slide the plant through to the center. If that makes sense.
By mcgrumpers
Top dress with live sphagnum or coarse inorganic substrate (such as coarse sand or pumice).
By OhGreatOne
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to let the top layer dry out a bit and then cover it with sand or live sphagnum.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!