FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
So I've been seeing people talking about using coffee as a fertilizer for their nepenthes! Being new to nepenthes myself, I was wondering if I could attempt to try that with a cutting that I made about a mont ago? Would the plant be able to benefit from the coffee? Or would it do more damage? I believe that it has allready started to root, as it seems much more sturdy now than a few weeks ago! Could you also explain to me how to dilute the coffee mix as simple as possible pleaseImage I tend to misunserstand sometimes!! And I'll also attach a photo of my potentially first pitcher!! Does it look like it will form? And how can I boost it?
Thanks in advance!ImageImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By hollyhock
Coffee is over rated in my opinion. Your plant looks great. I wouldn't waste time when it's not needed. If your cutting was only made a month ago the roots are still very tiny and I wouldn't risk using anything but water right now. When your plant is more firmly established, and you decide to feed it, I recommend a very diluted urea free orchid fertilizer. I use it probably every couple of months. I top water with it. And then the next time I water I flush the pot with distilled water. To boost your plants pitcher production make sure that it gets plenty of light and decent humidity. What type of nepenthes are you growing? Temperature during the day and night also has an impact on the growth and development of the pitchers.
By carelerasmus
hollyhock wrote:Coffee is over rated in my opinion. Your plant looks great. I wouldn't waste time when it's not needed. If your cutting was only made a month ago the roots are still very tiny and I wouldn't risk using anything but water right now. When your plant is more firmly established, and you decide to feed it, I recommend a very diluted urea free orchid fertilizer. I use it probably every couple of months. I top water with it. And then the next time I water I flush the pot with distilled water. To boost your plants pitcher production make sure that it gets plenty of light and decent humidity. What type of nepenthes are you growing? Temperature during the day and night also has an impact on the growth and development of the pitchers.
Thanks for the great advice! I've made the cutting from a friend's plant ( he's not really into carnivorous plants so he doesnt know what specie or hybrid it is)! I'll probably be able to tell what hybrid it is when its made some decent pitchers! At the moment its in a Aquarium Terrarium! So that should keep the humidity up pretty good! Its in my room right in front of a window! The window does recieve direct sunlight for about 3-5 hours?Image but the direct sunlight does not physically land on the plant itself, rather touching the terrarium so as to heat it up a bit! Its starting to get colder each day as Fall is approaching here in South Africa! So I thought the plant would benefit from the extra heat and humidity in the terrarium during the cold days!

I do think the hybrid would be something with alata or ventricosa in it, because my friend basically left his plant in his kitchen in relatively low humidity and light! He did not care for it much thoughImage so I suppose it would be some sort of hardy hybrid!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!