FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lukebart02
I just purchased this sundew today and I was educated that it seems to be a D. tokaiensis or D. Spatulata. And I’ve also heard to use the tray method to water but I am not sure. How should it be watered? And easy is it to grow?
1 of the plants. My other one like this is very clumped up with smaller ones all around it
1 of the plants. My other one like this is very clumped up with smaller ones all around it
image.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3120 times
By Cross
I don't have that specific cultivar, but I do have sundews. I typically leave mine in a water dish with an inch or two of water. That looks like it may have a flower stalk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cross liked this
By Lukebart02
Cross wrote:I don't have that specific cultivar, but I do have sundews. I typically leave mine in a water dish with an inch or two of water. That looks like it may have a flower stalk.

Yup it’s a flower stalk!
By Cross
Lukebart02 wrote:
Cross wrote:I don't have that specific cultivar, but I do have sundews. I typically leave mine in a water dish with an inch or two of water. That looks like it may have a flower stalk.

Yup it’s a flower stalk!
So exciting! You'll take pictures of the blooms right?

Cross liked this
By Lukebart02
Cross wrote:
Lukebart02 wrote:

Yup it’s a flower stalk!
So exciting! You'll take pictures of the blooms right?

Yup!
By CpKid
Do you have any grow lights? You should grow it inside with plenty of light on a window, and I seconds cross about the water. It should be happy with the occasional fruit fly or gnat, but maybe you could supplement that with some maxsea if you have it.
Last edited by CpKid on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lukebart02
CpKid wrote:Sorry for my previous misidentification, I agree with @Sphagnumfromhell, its looks like tokaienesis. Do you have any grow lights? You should grow it inside with plenty of light on a window, and I seconds cross about the water. It should be happy with the occasional fruit fly or gnat, but maybe you could supplement that with some maxsea if you have it.
I do have a small growlight for them but I plan to bring them outside when the weather is warm just to get an extra boost them bring them in during the cold months
By Lukebart02
CpKid wrote:Sorry for my previous misidentification, I agree with @Sphagnumfromhell, its looks like tokaienesis. Do you have any grow lights? You should grow it inside with plenty of light on a window, and I seconds cross about the water. It should be happy with the occasional fruit fly or gnat, but maybe you could supplement that with some maxsea if you have it.
I do have a small growlight for them but I plan to bring them outside when the weather is warm just to get an extra boost them bring them in during the cold months
By CpKid
Sure, sounds good! Just make sure that not too much hot sun is hitting it all at once if you place it outside, just so it doesn't get burned. Sorry for my late response, a bit busy in my neck o' the wood.
CpKid liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
CpKid wrote: I agree with @Sphagnumfromhell, its looks like tokaienesis
What the? Why did you tag me in this thread? I didn't say anything about the sundew.
By CpKid
Woah, I'm sorry....I think I needed some more coffee...I don't know what I was thinking or if I was. :oops:
By Cross
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:
CpKid wrote: I agree with @Sphagnumfromhell, its looks like tokaienesis
What the? Why did you tag me in this thread? I didn't say anything about the sundew.
Image it just means he thinks of you as a proficient grower that can give sound advice lol.

Cross, Cross liked this
By CpKid
Lol! geez, I just need to pay attention to who I'm mentioning and what I'm saying... :roll:
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!