FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
I've had both capensis 'Red' and 'Big Pink' for a couple of years now, and I've come to the conclusion that 'Big Pink' is not particularly big. When grown side by side, my 'Red' reached around 1 foot in diameter, and 'Big Pink' has never come close. So, I'm curious, how large can 'Big Pink' get under "ideal" conditions?
Intheswamp liked this
By Greenleaf_999
thepitchergrower wrote:I've had both capensis 'Red' and 'Big Pink' for a couple of years now, and I've come to the conclusion that 'Big Pink' is not particularly big. When grown side by side, my 'Red' reached around 1 foot in diameter, and 'Big Pink' has never come close. So, I'm curious, how large can 'Big Pink' get under "ideal" conditions?
I usually google the particular cultivar and look for larger sizes with hand for scale in size. It might take awhile, and you might find a few "bad eggs" in the images. But I just spend about 30 minutes to an hour scrolling through google images when I am curious. I am a plant freak. I love my plants. If you still need an answer let someone more knowledgeable than I am about the larger capensis cultivars. I have a regular weedy capensis on my balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Intheswamp
A one foot side cape....that's what I want!!! :D Hmm, I had some 'Big Pink X' seeds in the rotation to plant this spring...and I've already got a couple of 'Reds' from different sources. I'm hoping the reds step on the gas this summer, but due to my hot, outdoor growing conditions it'll be a struggle probably. Of course, hitting my capes with some 3-In-1 a week or so ago didn't help their attitudes any (aphids).<sigh> I'll be waiting to hear what others say about 'Big Pink'.
By ChefDean
Capes typically only get ~6 inches across, large varieties maybe ~8 inches. So, it sounds as though the BP is normal, and your Red has the unusual genes for giganticism.
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:54 pm Capes typically only get ~6 inches across, large varieties maybe ~8 inches. So, it sounds as though the BP is normal, and your Red has the unusual genes for giganticism.
In this case....I want some seeds off your 'Red', pitchergrower!!!! :D
By Intheswamp
That's really a nice one!!! How wide are the leaves you think? Does it wrap flies up all tidy? :)
By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 am That's really a nice one!!! How wide are the leaves you think? Does it wrap flies up all tidy? :)
The leaves are really narrow. Petioles are about 1/8th of an inch and lamina probably 1/6th.
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:30 am
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 am That's really a nice one!!! How wide are the leaves you think? Does it wrap flies up all tidy? :)
The leaves are really narrow. Petioles are about 1/8th of an inch and lamina probably 1/6th.
How are you growing these? Grow mix, lights, etc.,?
By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:47 am How are you growing these? Grow mix, lights, etc.,?
Sunny south facing garage window. Pure peat moss as the medium, in a red solo cup (probably needs a larger pot).
By Intheswamp
That's kind of getting technical... :mrgreen:

Pure peat moss, eh? How deep do you keep it's tray water?
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:44 am I just measured the longest leaf on the 'Red', and it's 7.5 inches long.
We might need to arrange a trade for a cutting from that red. For scientific purposes of course.
Panman, Shadowtski, Kray liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!