FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mickster4
Any idea why a sundew would start producing smaller leaves? I keep it damp and not too wet and its getting about 10 hours of direct sunlight a day. Thanks
By carelerasmus
Mickster4 wrote:Any idea why a sundew would start producing smaller leaves? I keep it damp and not too wet and its getting about 10 hours of direct sunlight a day. Thanks
Maybe a photo would help?Image

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Mickster4 wrote:Any idea why a sundew would start producing smaller leaves? I keep it damp and not too wet and its getting about 10 hours of direct sunlight a day. Thanks
My d. Capensis are looking really ragged right now because it has been really hot. I would say the leaves are smaller than normal. My d. Capensis Are floating in water. They are not damp.
D. Capensis can get caterpillars also.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about floating in water...but if it means they are in water 24/7 then I'd suggest you allow the peat to dry out between waterings

By FlyTrap Hunter
carelerasmus wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean about floating in water...but if it means they are in water 24/7 then I'd suggest you allow the peat to dry out between waterings

I don't get root rot with my temps. I don't know why ya'll do but I have never had that problem. I do grow in long fiber sphagnum moss and not peat perlite sand. I have recently considered adding sand to my mix for aeration. Mine always do better just sitting in a tray of water. In fact all of my Sundews are in sitting in trays of water and they love it.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Mickster4
Lots of new growth coming up just real small. Please note the other leaves turning brown are older leaves that have fed already.
Attachments:
plant2.jpg
plant2.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4195 times
plant1.jpg
plant1.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4195 times
By Mickster4
It has been catching ants and gnats. I live outside of Reading, Pa. It is pretty humid here and hot but it also seems like it doesn't have as much dew on it either. I guess I will wait and see what the new growth looks like. Looks nothing like when I bought (see attached picture) it lost its color and even though it keeps growing new growth it just doesn't look good to me. They said before increase the light so I have it in full sunlight during the day which seems to have woken it up with the new buds but now they are just so short.
Attachments:
07C4E17C-2B2C-4010-AE6B-D131B41D144A.jpeg
07C4E17C-2B2C-4010-AE6B-D131B41D144A.jpeg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
By carelerasmus
It looks great to me? I've found that newly formed leaves look smaller at first, but after a few days they start to stretch out , and become somewhat bigger!

By carelerasmus
Lack of coloring is usually if the plant is fed quite often! So its not really a bad thing in that case! However, it could also be because of lack of lighting! But it doesn't sound like that is the case here? But If it gets enough sunlight, and isnt "drowned" so to speak, I would just leave it be and watch growth to see if it starts coloring up again! Maybe do an experiment, and try not feeding it for a few weeks or so?

By KategoricalKarnivore
About the water thing. Capensis love water. They grow great sitting in a tray of water all the time. They even grow in just water, no soil. So for anyone saying to let the pot dry out between watering, I say don’t listen to that. I have capensis that have been sitting in water for years. Never dried up once and they do amazing.
By Secretariat73
Mickster4 wrote:It has been catching ants and gnats. I live outside of Reading, Pa. It is pretty humid here and hot but it also seems like it doesn't have as much dew on it either. I guess I will wait and see what the new growth looks like. Looks nothing like when I bought (see attached picture) it lost its color and even though it keeps growing new growth it just doesn't look good to me. They said before increase the light so I have it in full sunlight during the day which seems to have woken it up with the new buds but now they are just so short.
If you have the "typical" capensis, I would point a finger at the heat as the most likely culprit if growing conditions are adequate. Typicals prefer cooler temps and sulk when the mercury goes up. My typicals sit on a sunny 95F-100F window sill and are sending out shorter leaves, displaying reduced color that is sometimes on the yellowish side, and producing only a little bit of dew. When it cools down, they turn into gorgeous dew-laden specimens with huge leaves. They sit in water year round, even when temps approach 40F.

If summer heat is a factor in your area, consider the "red" capensis. It tolerates warmer temps better than its "typical" sibling. I have them growing alongside each other, and the reds are producing only slightly smaller leaves with just a small decline in dew production. "Big Pink" seems to fare better in my desert heat as well.
Secretariat73 liked this
Help! My VFT is dying

So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6?

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!