FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
on my resent trip to Perth WA we stopped off at a site where byblis and gigantea and many other drosera , its was great to see them in the natural habitat
J

look around the sand and you can see pygmea all round there
Last edited by snapperhead51 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jht-union
Thanks john again for the photos! :)

I'm surprised like daniel to see tuberous droras growing in this conditions.
The tuber droseras you sent have started to germinate! :)
By Dubstep13
jht-union wrote:Thanks john again for the photos! :)

how did u germinate them? i have D.gigantea seeds
By snapperhead51
Dubstep13 wrote:
jht-union wrote:Thanks john again for the photos! :)

how did u germinate them? i have D.gigantea seeds
A lot of AU seed needs smoke water to help with germination process, gigantea is one of them , when a bush fire gose through the heat and fire and with rian allowing the rian water to mix with the burnt grass and wood react with the seed , a chemical is the smoke water is released on the seed setting the germination processs into play ,a smiplyfied version , so you can do several things, use GA3 and soak them in that , get some spag peat very dry set it on fire and smoldering , and place the seed in a very small tray in some peat , just above it so its gets some heat amd smoke the sow and water it in , or use a webber BBQ and use the same process with the seed in the pot you going to use , smoke the seed for a few hours at about 70c or lower is ok , just a lowish heat , then cool down naturaly and then water the pot in its grow area from the top with rain water , use a water can with fine water release or you will wash the seed away , ,our seed germinate in winter here, tubers that is , and sit on top of the sand or soil all summer beaking in the hot sun,ground temps can reach over 70 c and more in the day , so our strat for tuber seed is heat strat not cold ok !! very differnt here a very important difference , grow you tuber in winter with good light and cool conditions never freeze !! day temps 10c to 15 c night 2c to 5c ok and as much sun or light as you can give them , as soon as the weather warms up her the go to sleep or the top growth dies off and they hybinate through the summer
J
By corky
really cool stuff,love your field trip photos,just watched your new ceph vid,hope you realise how lucky you are john,keep up the good work
By hegory
The Byblis kinda look a lot more messy than cultivated plants. It is amazing that all those sundews can be found in the same place.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!