FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By JohnnyZ
Hey all,

I have a question for everyone, and hopefully it's nothing to be worried about. I have a pot of flytraps that I have had for a few years that have always been really healthy, and a newly purchases Sarracenia Leucophylla. Today I noticed some of the flytraps are getting a ton of really small black spots that almost look indented. The sarracenia have it too, but to a lesser extent, and they are developing large white spots that seem to be wilting the growth. Any ideas as to what they could be/how to treat it?
Attachments:
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG (192.97 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG (182.02 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG (171.7 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
By JohnnyZ
If that's the case I proactively sprayed Orthenex on them after I posted this, which has acephate in it, will that hopefully take care of the problem?
By Matt
You should first identify the pest, if it is in fact pest damage, so you know what you're dealing with. Acephate will work on pretty much all pests, but I've found that the Orethenex tends to burn the leaves of flytraps. For that reason, I purchase Acephate 75 and mix my own.

But if the damage is caused by mites, acephate alone will not kill them permanently. It might slow them down, but they're hard to kill and the only thing I've had success with is a dedicated miticide, which are expensive. But we sell small portions of 3 types of miticide in the store for those hobbyists who do not wish to purchase a large bottle.
By JohnnyZ
I actually have some miticide laying around that I sprayed on and the new leaves look much better. Thank you both for the advice!

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!