FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello all! I was wondering what the best brand of peatmoss was for potting up CP's such as sarracenia and dionaea. Black Gold Mabye?

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
By TheTrapper
There is not a best brand of peat moss per se. Black gold peat moss will work fine as it lacks additives. When buying peat moss there are a number of factors to pursue and unfortunately many are learned from experience. The factors are cleanliness( lack of debris), sanitariness( lack of fungal spores and seeds), and soil additive-less( no fertilizers).
Most peat moss brands that advertise as organic are good to use for CP as this indicates that it contains no added fertilizers. Usually when you pay for a more expensive bag you are paying for the other factors such as the more clean moss or the more sanitary moss. That being said I would consider Black gold a good brand of peat moss. Good Growing!
By Artchic528
As a US grower, I've used both Hoffman's and Premeir brand peat moss without issue.

Premier is 100% Canadadian sphagnum peat moss. It comes compressed in huge blocks or bails. I just bought a 2 foot square block/bail from Lowe's. It expands to twice it's compressed volume, so great for if you need a large amount of peat, or just to have a bit on hand.

For smaller bags, I get Hoffman's from Amazon. It's 100% organic, so no additives, and comes in 8 and 10 liter bags, though more sizes might be available. Its not compressed like Premeir so there's no expansion. Good for if you only have one or two small plants and don't need a whole lot of peat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By thefic
I use lambert from Home Depot. Some bales have a lot of extraneous crap like twigs and whatnot in there. But no additives and seems to do well for me. I buy 2 or 3 bales at a time and just keep them on hand. I tend to repot every year and use the old stuff as a soil amendment for other plants as well as to fill in garden beds.

Stay away from miracle gro and there is another brand that sells small bags at Lowe’s and such. They have additives. Check the bag carefully. Generally speaking anything Canadian is best.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!