FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishman
This is my first ever attempt at growing Byblis. It looks like its losing some of the green color, and looks like its turning tan colored to me. Mucilage is still in full swing. Is the loss of color normal for these, or am i needing to make an adjustment of some kind with it? I put a piece of red paper behind it to maybe help see it better but not sure it did any good..
Attachments:
20161201_202752.jpg
20161201_202752.jpg (651.35 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
20161201_202656.jpg
20161201_202656.jpg (642.79 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
By Fishman
Shadowtski wrote:Looks like damp off. Put some sand around it and dry up your media a little.

My 2 cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Just lovely! I probably waited longer than i shouldve before i pulled the plastic wrap off the pot when germinating them. Think im going to chill with the water for a day or two also, and watch it a little closer. Thanks Mike
By Benurmanii
Fishman wrote:
Shadowtski wrote:Looks like damp off. Put some sand around it and dry up your media a little.

My 2 cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Just lovely! I probably waited longer than i shouldve before i pulled the plastic wrap off the pot when germinating them. Think im going to chill with the water for a day or two also, and watch it a little closer. Thanks Mike
Byblis are typically dryer growers than Drosera, at least the way they are grown in cultivation I haven't found liniflora to care much about having a more water-retentive media, but I don't believe there to be anything really beneficial about keeping the humidity up for these guys.

To me personally, it doesn't really look like damping off, and I would imagine that it is just coloration from good lighting. However, I have never experienced damping off, so I wouldn't really be able to spot it if its symptoms are subtle.
Last edited by Benurmanii on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fishman

My 2 cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
I covered the soil in sand completely all around the plants. (A light layer,of course). Maybe thatll help a bit. Thanks!
By Fishman
Benurmanii wrote:
Fishman wrote:

My 2 cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Byblis are typically dryer growers than Drosera, at least the way they are grown in cultivation I haven't found liniflora to care much about having a more water-retentive, but I don't believe there to be anything really beneficial about keeping the humidity up for these guys.

To me personally, it doesn't really look like damping off, and I would imagine that it is just coloration from good lighting. However, I have never experienced damping off, so I wouldn't really be able to spot it if its symptoms are subtle.
Interesting. I read they were the most tolerant of wet conditions of any of the Byblis, which was why i was keeping them wet like my drosera. Ill pinch back on it for a few days and see how they respond. As far as lighting goes,do you think im cooking them? Theyre about 4 to 5in below my lights. Thanks!
By Benurmanii
Yes, they are one of the most water tolerant of Byblis (I forgot the word "media" in my first paragraph which may have caused some confusioon). That is why I don't think it is damping off. Don't worry about cooking your Byblis, because you simply can't do it ;)
By Fishman
I ended up putting sand all around them to help with soaking some of that up just in case, and ill keep it in the same spot in under the lights. I will come back in a week or so and update the progress. Thanks for the help guys
By Fishman
Update as of today
I ordered some B.Aquatica, and B.Gigantea seeds yesterday. Cant wait to get them going. I love the way they look when the morning sun shines through them
Attachments:
B.liniflora, as of 12.23.2016
B.liniflora, as of 12.23.2016
20161223_173101.jpg (406.01 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
By Benurmanii
Fishman wrote:Update as of today
I ordered some B.Aquatica, and B.Gigantea seeds yesterday. Cant wait to get them going. I love the way they look when the morning sun shines through them
Looks great! Btw, B. gigantea needs treatment to germinate. I have not attempted this myself, but a grower on FB recommends soaking the seeds for 4-5 days in GA3. I'll send enough to do the soak when I send your shipment.
By Fishman
Benurmanii wrote:
Looks great! Btw, B. gigantea needs treatment to germinate. I have not attempted this myself, but a grower on FB recommends soaking the seeds for 4-5 days in GA3. I'll send enough to do the soak when I send your shipment.
Thanks! Yeah, ive been reading about treatment for those as well. I dont have any GA3 atm, but was going to get some. I almost forgot what shipment you were talking about haha...
By Shadowtski
It looks like the B. liniflora survived and is thriving. They sure look happy and healthy now.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Fishman
Seven weeks since sowing these and already fixing to flower. Thats crazy... looks like the seed bank will be getting a nice surplus of these soon...
Attachments:
WIN_20161230_22_40_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161230_22_40_13_Pro.jpg (137.8 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
WIN_20161230_22_36_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161230_22_36_14_Pro.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
By Mawy_Plants
Hi Fishman!

I am considering requesting B. liniflora from the SeedBank and I believe they're from your harvest.

Do you have any tips to share with a first time attempt with the Byblis Genus? I was checking this thread out and it looks like the sand helped a lot, seems they like it more dry. I have read that a mixture of 2:1 sand/ peat is good.

Did you have to stratify your seeds before showing?

I bet your plant looks great by now, almost a year later!

Thanks in advance!
Mary
By fattytuna
Fishman wrote:Seven weeks since sowing these and already fixing to flower. Thats crazy... looks like the seed bank will be getting a nice surplus of these soon...
Make sure to vibrate the flower with a tuning fork or similar device or it won't release its pollen.

IMG_4327.jpeg This is the pot in question.

sase sent again thank you Sent from my SM-S918U u[…]

What variety is that?

Boy this is hard work

What's the going rate for plants in your area?

My biggest Sarracenia

I checked up on my plants today and noticed this t[…]

I'm kinda late to the party, but if you have a Tra[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome Andrew what's been your favorite CP to gro[…]

howdy!

What's up guys! I've grown VFT for 3 years now. I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!