FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By David F
BigBella wrote:
Matt wrote:
blucksy wrote:Thanks! Flaming sounds a little extreme. Could I light a candle and just flame that way?
Even the best of flames don't get hot enough to kill all bacteria. A combination of alcohol and flame does a decent job, but bacteria containation is still common.

Best to run the tools through a pressure cooker and then alcohol dip and flame them between touching anything with them.
I should have mentioned that I store my tools, while working, in a small beaker of 99% isopropyl alcohol and flame them between each use; either that, it use a glass bead sterilizer, but those are generally not used by those just outfitting their labs . . .

I think beads are the way to go in this situation. Particularly since they don't produce air turbidity the way an alcohol or bunsen burner might, especially in a confined space without proper air filtration/ in a home. There are some good compact units out there that aren't too expensive. I don't know if a less expensive bead unit counts as half-assing it, since I'm assuming there's not any HEPA filtration going on.

I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of doing TC without at least a box, but on the same note I'd much prefer aseptic flowing air.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!