FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By David F
BigBella wrote:
Matt wrote:
blucksy wrote:Thanks! Flaming sounds a little extreme. Could I light a candle and just flame that way?
Even the best of flames don't get hot enough to kill all bacteria. A combination of alcohol and flame does a decent job, but bacteria containation is still common.

Best to run the tools through a pressure cooker and then alcohol dip and flame them between touching anything with them.
I should have mentioned that I store my tools, while working, in a small beaker of 99% isopropyl alcohol and flame them between each use; either that, it use a glass bead sterilizer, but those are generally not used by those just outfitting their labs . . .

I think beads are the way to go in this situation. Particularly since they don't produce air turbidity the way an alcohol or bunsen burner might, especially in a confined space without proper air filtration/ in a home. There are some good compact units out there that aren't too expensive. I don't know if a less expensive bead unit counts as half-assing it, since I'm assuming there's not any HEPA filtration going on.

I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of doing TC without at least a box, but on the same note I'd much prefer aseptic flowing air.
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!