FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By heathenpriest
Has anyone found a source of silica sand that's reasonably priced?

I've had to pay a dollar or more a pound for all I've bought, and a pound isn't very much. And if it's not local and you have to pay shipping, it's even worse! So far, I've bought it through aquarium supply shops and hardware stores, but even then they usually have to order it. It was used for sandblasting in the past, but not anymore. Everybody's afraid of it now because of silicosis. When you do find it, you have to read the fine print to see what it is because they don't even like to use the word.

I think some pool filters still use it, don't they? Is it any cheaper from pool supply places?

What else is it being used for these days? Glass making/blowing? Someone out there must know.
By dantt99
I don't know. But I never knew breathing in silica sand could give you lung disease! Glad I use perlite :) .
By heathenpriest
Thanks, Matt. Seven cents a pound sounds a heck of a lot better than what I'm paying! What do they call it at the lumber yard, and what's it for?

I checked with a local hardware store that has always had nearly everything I've ever needed - and I've needed some pretty weird things, believe you me! They searched their suppliers for sand, silica, blasting media, etc., but I didn't know what else to ask for. When they finally found some, I think it was in 5 pound boxes for about $7.00 each. Can't remember what it was for.
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:But I never knew breathing in silica sand could give you lung disease! Glad I use perlite
Perlite is more noxious than silica sand and can produce the same problems and symptoms. Perlite is primarily silica and often consists of a greater percentage of very fine particles than sand does, dust-like particles that are easily airborne and have an immediate uncomfortable effect upon breathing (I know from personal experience).

That's why I always moisten perlite before stirring it or mixing it with other ingredients, and moisten all growing media before use; doing so will keep the silica dust to a minimum, and active air movement will help to blow any remaining airborne particles away before one breathes them. :)
Steve_D liked this
By dantt99
Steve_D wrote:
dantt99 wrote:But I never knew breathing in silica sand could give you lung disease! Glad I use perlite
Perlite is more noxious than silica sand and can produce the same problems and symptoms. Perlite is primarily silica and often consists of a greater percentage of very fine particles than sand does, dust-like particles that are easily airborne and have an immediate uncomfortable effect upon breathing (I know from personal experience).

That's why I always moisten perlite before stirring it or mixing it with other ingredients, and moisten all growing media before use; doing so will keep the silica dust to a minimum, and active air movement will help to blow any remaining airborne particles away before one breathes them. :)
Oh geez. So is there any real chance of getting silicosis? Is it anything high? And is it a serious problem? I'm just curious! I will make sure to moisten perlite next time I use it. :)
By Matt
heathenpriest wrote:What do they call it at the lumber yard, and what's it for?
I can't remember the label on the bag, but they know what I'm talking about when I ask for silica sand. I believe that it's used for sandblasting at the place I get it from.
By Daniel_G
Steve_D wrote:

I was wondering why i was dyeing :lol:
By dantt99
Yeah! But next time I'll watch out for the white dust :lol:
By 95slvrZ28
Tim, I would say most large hardware stores should have something that would work for you, it's just a matter of asking for the right name. The silica sand I found locally is from Quikrete which is a pretty common brand. I personally found Quikrete Commercial Grade Sand locally, it looked to be about right, so I purchased it. Later research yielded it's 99%+ silica. If you check out their products here:
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/Alphabetical.asp

You can click on the different sands and find out the composition of each in the data sheet, hopefully that will allow you to help track something common down at your local hardware store.
95slvrZ28 liked this

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!