FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:57 pm Do you have Harbor Freight in your location? https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 56705.html
I've looked at this before. It just seems weird to put glass in your grow mix BUT...what is the main ingredient in glass? ;) Hmmm, I may just re-look at that blasting media. Thanks for reminding us about this, elaineo!!!! :D Are you using it?
elaineo liked this
By Intheswamp
I was stumbling around the Internet, once again searching for the unicorn, when I stumbled upon "well pack sand"...used in well drilling, both petro and water. It appears there are several grades/sizes of this. It might be worth it to visit a well-drilling company if you have one near.
By elaineo
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:56 pm I've looked at this before. It just seems weird to put glass in your grow mix BUT...what is the main ingredient in glass? ;) Hmmm, I may just re-look at that blasting media. Thanks for reminding us about this, elaineo!!!! :D Are you using it?
No, IMO the benefits of silica sand are not enough to justify the added expense over perlite. But I'm a cheapskate :b
By Panman
Speaking of cheap and perlite, Home Depot has added a bunch of perlite options to their online site, including extra chunky varieties. They now have Vigoro in a 1 cubic foot chunky bag and 4 cubic feet of their regular variety. I'm considering trying the Grow!T Super Coarse Perlite. And shipping is free on the perlite.
elaineo, Intheswamp liked this
By elaineo
FWIW, I've tried pool filter sand in the past, and the potting mix seemed to develop the anaerobic sulfur smell much sooner than when using perlite. Then I thought about it -- the purpose of pool filter sand is to trap dirt/debris/contaminants, and only let clean water go through. Why would I want my potting mix to do the same?
wcrosman liked this
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:57 pm FWIW, I've tried pool filter sand in the past, and the potting mix seemed to develop the anaerobic sulfur smell much sooner than when using perlite. Then I thought about it -- the purpose of pool filter sand is to trap dirt/debris/contaminants, and only let clean water go through. Why would I want my potting mix to do the same?
I am unable to use perlite. It molds way too quickly here in the PNW. Does regular silica sand experience this also?
By elaineo
andynorth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:03 pm I am unable to use perlite. It molds way too quickly here in the PNW. Does regular silica sand experience this also?
Is it actual mold, or algae or cyanobacteria? The pool filter sand I used grew algae and cyanobacteria, moreso than perlite. I don't think I've seen mold here other than on my shower wall.
Intheswamp, Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:45 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:56 pm I've looked at this before. It just seems weird to put glass in your grow mix BUT...what is the main ingredient in glass? ;) Hmmm, I may just re-look at that blasting media. Thanks for reminding us about this, elaineo!!!! :D Are you using it?
No, IMO the benefits of silica sand are not enough to justify the added expense over perlite. But I'm a cheapskate :b
We may be kin!!!! :mrgreen:
elaineo liked this
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm Speaking of cheap and perlite, Home Depot has added a bunch of perlite options to their online site, including extra chunky varieties. They now have Vigoro in a 1 cubic foot chunky bag and 4 cubic feet of their regular variety. I'm considering trying the Grow!T Super Coarse Perlite. And shipping is free on the perlite.
Hmmm, I'll have to take a look. I bought a 2 cu ft bag of the regular Vigoro last year from HD and I've got about a fourth of it left. If I stick with perlite (probably will) I'm gonna need more if I go ahead with my mini-bog dream. Yep, I like the free perlite shipping from HD!!!! Thanks for the heads'up.
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:24 pm
andynorth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:03 pm I am unable to use perlite. It molds way too quickly here in the PNW. Does regular silica sand experience this also?
Is it actual mold, or algae or cyanobacteria? The pool filter sand I used grew algae and cyanobacteria, moreso than perlite. I don't think I've seen mold here other than on my shower wall.
It's mold. Turns pink and then green. If it does not move around here it turns green.
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, I always thought the green on my perlite was algae...it never goes to the "thickening stage" as it seems molds do. We may have two different things going on. Or, maybe I've been wrong in what I thought mine is...??? I dunno. :?:
By elaineo
andynorth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:45 pm It's mold. Turns pink and then green. If it does not move around here it turns green.
Are they outside, with airflow? Sand is as stationary as perlite, so I would expect it to gather mold as well. Some indoor growers use sulfur fungicide or trichoderma but haven't tried them myself.
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:16 pm
andynorth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:45 pm It's mold. Turns pink and then green. If it does not move around here it turns green.
Are they outside, with airflow? Sand is as stationary as perlite, so I would expect it to gather mold as well. Some indoor growers use sulfur fungicide or trichoderma but haven't tried them myself.
Does not make a difference. I have had them outside turn green and inside. It's our humid environment.

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!