FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Pied
Hello!

I'm working on a research question this semester about S. purpurea. I've been reading a lot of papers looking for a way to distinguish "juvenile" and "mature" pitchers from each other in the field. From what I've found of the methods they used, they are all different-- and seem to be up to the researcher to set their parameters (which is fine).

And while I have my own thoughts, I'd love to hear from my plant loving friends to open up my mind to more. What would you suggest as ways to differentiate between juvenile pitchers and mature in their natural environment?

Thanks ahead!
By Shadowtski
I consider them juvenile until the plant flowers, but I'm not a Sarracenia guy. Flowerstalk = Mature plant, No Flowerstalk = Juvenile plant. Just my 2¢ worth.

I just toured a bog in Southeast Wisconsin on International Bog Day, July 29th, this year.
I saw a fair number of Sarracenia purpurea growing wild.
The pitchers on the flowering mature plants were about 5 or 6 inches long or larger and the veining was more pronounced.
The coloring varied considerably between plants because some were growing in more shaded areas and some were getting full sun.
Shadowtski liked this
By mouthstofeed
Shadowtski wrote:I consider them juvenile until the plant flowers, but I'm not a Sarracenia guy. Flowerstalk = Mature plant, No Flowerstalk = Juvenile plant. Just my 2¢ worth.

I just toured a bog in Southeast Wisconsin on International Bog Day, July 29th, this year.
I saw a fair number of Sarracenia purpurea growing wild.
The pitchers on the flowering mature plants were about 5 or 6 inches long or larger and the veining was more pronounced.
The coloring varied considerably between plants because some were growing in more shaded areas and some were getting full sun.
What about mature specimens that aren't flowering, or can't flower?
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome! (and I think it's my turn to say: ) Be su[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Thanks! Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!